New to garden pond

Reaction score
Could be that the size has something to do with the photos not loading - I know I just tried to load more photos and did not get anywhere. I did, however get an error message that flashplayer or something like that had crashed. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I really love the photos of the bog with the piping. I would like to do that next time. I know when we were putting this pond in, DH stopped the water just shy of the bottom of the shelving that goes all the way around the pond, stood flat stones on end and foamed them in. Waited until that foaming was dry and then filled that area with pea gravel. I cannot remember how long the main bog is, I want to say 13 feet long by 3 feet or so wide and a depth of 10inches of pea gravel. Then he has the 500 gph pondmaster going through the pea gravel and it does do the trick.

I did check the link to DG and yes, my water celery looks just like that. Flowers have always reminded me of Queen Anne's Lace and I am thinking they are all part of the carrot family.

Jason - I really love your photos, especially with the lighting features.

Attachments

• IMG_7287.JPG
    IMG_7287.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_7289.JPG
    IMG_7289.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 146
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well blow me down! Your stuff must be water celery, then. I just got my last year, thought it was called water parsley, and now I'm wondering if my brain is just going wacko! It did not bloom, but maybe because it was it's first year. Mine looks like this:
Water parsley.JPG
It's more varigated, white/green/light pink. Will be interested to see if it blooms this year. It spread quite well, but not near as much as yours has. I do want to thin it out this spring, once it starts growing again. I had more problem with the water clover multiplying, but both of these are very easy to pull and move or toss, or give away, so no worries.

Reaction score
CE -

Mine is all over the place and has jumped the different bogs. I have 1 bog left where there is no water celery and I am wondering if this year it will jump into that one. I have my herb bed on the other side of the pond where I grow my herbs for cooking and I had an awful time pulling the water celery out of that as well.

I don't remember if our water celery started out as varigated or not - I believe this pond was put in in 2005.

I was surprised when our water celery started to flower as well. One would never know that I had also planted various other plants into the bogs. The water celery just takes over.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Welcome!!!! I too made a bog last year but I had to build it above ground as the only spot that I could have put it was sloping away from the pond. I use photobucket a lot for my picutres. I like em big...LOL Mine did great all summer with keeping my water clear and clean. This winter has been a learning curve for me but thats the best part about ponding. You learn as you go.

IMG_2769.JPG

IMG_2771.JPG

IMG_2812.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great pics, Ryan.
Carolyn, I remember when I got one of the plants from the greenhouse, the owner told me to be VERY careful one of them did NOT get out of the pond. He said it is impossible to kill and remove, grows like crazy, and roundup won't even kill it! I wonder if what you have is that type. What I have was very well mannered last year, but it was the first year. I was thinking it was a plant he called a chameleon plant that was so invasive in dirt gardens, but not if it is kept in a bog. Maybe what I have is something very different altogether. My water clover was kind of that way, grew and spread everywhere. This year I want to pull it from all parts of the bog and just keep it on one end or in one area. That way, when it spreads, I can nip the ends off and keep it from going crazy, or at least that's my idea. The good thing about the water clover is that it does not grow as densely as your water celery, so other plants show up in and amongst it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have the same kind that you do CE and here's what they call it:

Variegated Water Celery Oenanthe japonica "Flamingo"

celery_variegated.jpg

Variegated Water Celery
Oenanthe Javanica "Flamingo", variegated water celery has foliage that is bright pink, green and white.
The pink color is most outstanding in cooler weather of spring and fall..
Tiny white flowers that form in July and August.
Hardy Zone 6 or higher

Reaction score
I do know what you are talking about - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2164/

This is not the same as the water celery. If anything Houttuynia may be worse than the water celery. I have a neighbor down the street that put Houttunia into her garden and it took over. It would go under sidewalks and come up on the other side. It took her 2 years to get rid of it.

Right now, my feelings on the water celery are that I would have to dig all the pea gravel out of my bogs and start over in order to get rid of this stuff. I am not going to do that at this point in time. When it jumps into the yard, I do mow the stuff over, so my only real problem is in my herb garden. Thankfully, the herb garden is not all that big.

At some point, DH and I plan on moving south for retirement. We will put in another pond (this will be the 4th pond). When we do that, we will definitely not be adding any water celery.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh yes I made the mistake once of buying some of that pretty little Chameleon plant from Lowes one year. Then I read about it on the net! Yikes I hadn't had it very long and it was already very hard to get rid of. Pieces way underground would pop up and I kept digging and pulling it out. Fortunately I did get rid of it tho and its not been seen since. I think using that plant in maybe a container pot would be ok and that's about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, Carolyn, that is the one and I bought one from the greenhouse, and he warned me to keep it in the bog, but I'm pretty sure it died. I will watch for it to maybe emerge this year, as we all know they can go dormant and grow roots the first year.
I have a Golden Club that I bought last year, very unusual plant, and I'm watching and waiting for it to start some new growth. I'm hoping it made it through the winter and will emerge and maybe bloom this year! I sure will be careful if that chameleon plant does come back! I was just looking closely at my bog this evening, and I remember seeing a leaf that was kind of pink, and wondered if it was that plant! So, I will watch that one closely. I remember putting it on the bog edge close to the water edge, so that if it spread, it would be 3' or more from the ground on the outside of the bog. He said as long as I keep it in the bog, I will be fine, but watch out if it "gets out"!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Here's a pic I stole from the internet. LOL
Golden Club.jpg
I got my plant on E-Bay, along with a Miami Rose tropical Lily and another floating plant that has tiny yellow flowers, looks like tiny lilies. All did very well last year, still waiting for everything to emerge and begin growing this year. Got them from Adavisus, who is a member on this forum. If you need to know anything about pond plants, he is VERY informative!

Ask a Question