New to ponds, old owners had koi. They are all dead

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I seriously doubt that was the one and only cause of their demise.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I figured out what happened. In being really tired because of the backbreaking work I did, I misread the chlorine remover, added only 12.5 ml, instructions say to add 5 ml per 100 gallons, meaning I should have put 22.5. I feel so horrible now
CHLORINE REMOVER used or lightly used wont create catastrophic deaths you'll see ulcers etc before they have serious issues

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I figured out what happened. In being really tired because of the backbreaking work I did, I misread the chlorine remover, added only 12.5 ml, instructions say to add 5 ml per 100 gallons, meaning I should have put 22.5. I feel so horrible now
It was hard work and mistakes (and accidents) happen when we are tired. You can have a fun and pretty goldfish pond, just take some time to get over the emotions of this, learn a little more from this group first.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So me and the wife decided to get new fish by the end of the month, so I don't have to try to clean it out the way I did again how would I be able to try to keep the pond clear?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
What method of filtration did you inherit? Dont get discouraged, the members here are very knowledgeable and its very valuable for people like me to learn as they help you along!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

Sure you added half the amount needed but I am not sure its the only cause. I recommend goldfish for that pond... big ones if you want. They do become 12 inches if you get some good quality comets. It takes koi 1.5 years to get to that length hence why that pond is too small for them.

Add 1 fish per 2 weeks is my recommendation. Speed of adding fish depends on filtration method. Do we have a waterfall filter? A bog? Just some plants in some pots? What are we dealing with?

Also, are we attached to regular goldfish or do you want some fancy ones? They take less space in general. My pond is all ranchu goldfish with some dojo loaches. It's only 175 gallons now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
As for the pond being clear.... the reason the pond goes green is algae bloom from Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates in the water. Fish makes ammonia via exchanges in the gills. We urinate our ammonia. Ammonia makes algae grow, you need to get rid of it or be happy with green water. The more you feed the fish the more ammonia they make.

You can:
1- Do weekly water changes, which is not something you're gonna want to do as that's a lot of work to keep for years. Essentially, thats what aquarium keepers do.

OR

2- Have plants to eat up the nitrogen. Bogs grow plants from pond water and consume the nitrogen. Some plants can be placed in ponds and do consume ammonia but there is only so much space for them in the pond, hence making a bog is worthwhile.

OR

3- You could have less fish.... so less ammonia made.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let's start with some pictures of your now pond. Include a wide shot showing all the edges of the pond and surroundings. I ask this as rain run off is a bad thing for ponds.
Next what do you have for a filter a pic is fine .
And what do you have for a pumpkin there a name mo Dee el number or gph...
Also what is supplying oxygen to the pond.
How many fish and what type and size
How deep is the pond.
Sorry if repeat questions I have nitvread the entire post

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow i used an old tablet man spell check and what ever that is is way bad

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL I THINK THATS WHERE I PLUGED IT IN. LOW BATTERY

Reaction score
Country
United States
What method of filtration did you inherit? Dont get discouraged, the members here are very knowledgeable and its very valuable for people like me to learn as they help you along!
It's a type of uv filtration system, it's built into the ground but has a pump in the pond to pump water into it. The only things I was able to find was a video in Chinese or so

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's start with some pictures of your now pond. Include a wide shot showing all the edges of the pond and surroundings. I ask this as rain run off is a bad thing for ponds.
Next what do you have for a filter a pic is fine .
And what do you have for a pumpkin there a name mo Dee el number or gph...
Also what is supplying oxygen to the pond.
How many fish and what type and size
How deep is the pond.
Sorry if repeat questions I have nitvread the entire post
The Lilly pads are in the kiddie pool so they can try to survive. Light green plant is on a free floating piece

Attachments

• 16565116072316475409035748778478.jpg
    16565116072316475409035748778478.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 16565116880796401675178943889730.jpg
    16565116880796401675178943889730.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
Country
United States
Me and my wife recently purchased a home with a small 450 gallon koi pond in it, we've been taking as good care as we can.the old owners left behind instructions which included an annual care sheet, changing the water every spring 100%. The description was exactly verbatim:

At this point we had to do it a bitt late, the water was dark green but the koi were very much active and alive, if anything sometimes the oxygen was low but they could all survive by going into the waterfall area. I followed his instructions and the water was all pH balanced and Temps were extremely similar. The ph tester strip only real difference was the Ch hardiness, one was high the new was low. I am extremely disappointed and sad at the amount of work we just did to follow those instructions only for all 4 of the koi to die. I was hoping they would have take the fish or sold them before, as they said they were gonna do, because I didn't have the personal time to attend to them very well, so when I did finally have time I did the deed that ended up doing them in. I don't know what I was supposed to do and I don't know what to do. My wife is breaking down right now, and I hate myself for doing this so hard... I just wanted clearer water again so they could swim and be happy again... the water was almost pure dark green along with alot of sludge in the water everywhere... we were gonna leave them in the kiddie pool overnight but it's supposed to rain and the bubbler we have isn't water proof so we had to put them in so they would have oxygen.
Yikes! Like our other comrades wrote, 450 gal for 4 big koi?! I have a 1,500 gal pond, and I'd never consider putting koi into it -- aeration needed, expensive food, the fish tearing the vegetation to shreds, etc. I've been keeping cheap comets of assorted colors/shades/stripes [usually, "feeder fish"; even if they die young, at least they weren't food for predators] for 15 yrs, and generally only lose them when a stupid blue heron stops by to feast. The pond plants seem to oxygenate well enough (elodea, really good). I change about 50% of the water 2X/year, and the fish get a big kick out of the water "re-intro" -- slowly tipping a 50-gal barrel of water into the pond. The fish actually seem to surf in it! Cute. The water gets a little greenish -- perfectly natural -- but having plenty of plants in it -- water hyacinth, water lettuce, potted plants, etc seems to keep algal development from going crazy.

Best of luck. I think you've learned a lot in this forum .....

Mitch

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don’t be too tough on yourself…. There are people with much larger ponds and expertise that still lose fish… it’s a learning process and even when everything is right, things still happen. So sorry for your loss ❤️

Ask a Question