New to the forum and building my first BIG pond...

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!! Don't like how you can see the liner in some spots where the rocks are too short or the edge is a hair higher than somewhere else. Hopefully the plants will grow over and cover. Might try some marine glue and place a few rocks. Gonna test on some scrap liner first.

Water is starting to clear very nicely though!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i used pl construction glue to put some rocks on the wall between the bog and garden, that stuff sticks well.

A few rocks will cover it well, this is called the tweaking stage, humm don't like the look of that, move a rock............lol

Just remember the plants die in the winter, then the liner will bug you till they grow again, unless evergreens.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
i used pl construction glue to put some rocks on the wall between the bog and garden, that stuff sticks well.

A few rocks will cover it well, this is called the tweaking stage, humm don't like the look of that, move a rock............lol

Just remember the plants die in the winter, then the liner will bug you till they grow again, unless evergreens.

Thanks I will have to give it a try. Think I will just glue some of the smaller river pebbles. Funny though how you go to almost every garden center and you can usually always see the liner, guess its hard to get it perfect...lol.

Hmm evergreens, not a bad idea...lol.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mikecoscia said:
Thanks I will have to give it a try. Think I will just glue some of the smaller river pebbles. Funny though how you go to almost every garden center and you can usually always see the liner, guess its hard to get it perfect...lol.

Hmm evergreens, not a bad idea...lol.

yep I am putting evergreens in, love to have color in the dead of winter.

I fuss with mine until no liner shows at all, hate to have it show. Keep tweaking, it will work out, glue and some little pebbles is a good idea, a mixture of large and small stones makes it look more natural.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
By the time a lttle algae grows on the liner, you will never see the bottom unless you are meticulously cleaning it. If thats the case, a water feature is more appropriate than a pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:
By the time a lttle algae grows on the liner, you will never see the bottom unless you are meticulously cleaning it. If thats the case, a water feature is more appropriate than a pond.

Referring to liner that is out of water, i.e. edges between rocks etc. The bottom liner does disappear in time.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Referring to liner that is out of water, i.e. edges between rocks etc. The bottom liner does disappear in time.

Lol yeah not worried about the bottom. Every since I had the falls running water seems to be evaporating alot quicker, man I hope it is not leaking. Hoses where fine before I buried them...lol. Lost about 1/8 of inch from yesterday morning maybe.

Also through a level on the waterfall and skimmer, suckers shifted already...ugh. They where perfectly level, waterfall is pitched backwards and skimmer is pitched forward. Everything seems to be working though.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mikecoscia said:
Lol yeah not worried about the bottom. Every since I had the falls running water seems to be evaporating alot quicker, man I hope it is not leaking. Hoses where fine before I buried them...lol. Lost about 1/8 of inch from yesterday morning maybe.

Also through a level on the waterfall and skimmer, suckers shifted already...ugh. They where perfectly level, waterfall is pitched backwards and skimmer is pitched forward. Everything seems to be working though.

Things settle, one reason I have not foamed in my waterfalls, second reason still working on 4 of them.

You probably would want the waterfall pitched forward a little rather than level.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
Things settle, one reason I have not foamed in my waterfalls, second reason still working on 4 of them.

You probably would want the waterfall pitched forward a little rather than level.

Yeah learn from me cause there is no way I am fixing it now...lol. Yeah I missed that part in the directions where it said to pitch it a quarter of an inch forward. I am a water of an inch backward! Everything flows fine though, drop a leaf in and it goes right over. and the water level is NO WHERE near the top of the water fall box. If i was running a pump that was 10,000gph I might have something to worry about, but my little 4800 is working well.

The skimmer i think happened when I cut the liner, at least 10 gallons of water feel behind the liner in front of the skimmer box while I was working. That clay soil turns to pudding when it gets wet, so get it shifted forward. If I really wanted to I could dig out the back of the skimmer and remove some of the dirt under it. That would fix it. Not sure if I want to go through the hassle, it's working fine as far as I can tell.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are going to drop the level before cutting in the skimmer, next spring. It is late enough in the season, I am going to wait, rather than get water in it, then have to purge so it wont freeze. My honey put the skimmer on a wood frame and buried the frame legs about 1.5 feet into the ground so it could not shift. Hopefully it will work. lol

Pick your battles as I say, if they are working, leave them. Nothing is perfect, esp in building a pond.

Ask a Question