New to the forum

Reaction score
Hi there I'm new to this. I have been reading a few of the posts on this forum and found them quite useful. Everybody here seems to be knowledgeable and very nice so I am happy to be part of this forum.

Here's a little about me. I am completely new to this. I live with my parents and they had built a pond last summer. It was roughly 200 gallons or so. They had put goldfish and koi in it but the raccoons and cats kept getting them so by the end of summer they had put a total of about 40 goldfish and 10 koi or so. Out of all the ones that were put in only 8 goldfish and 2 koi had survived. The pond wasn’t big enough to leave them out through the winter so we brought them inside. Over winter they grew a fair amount and when it came time to put them back in the pond we did. Well after about a week or so my parents and I decided the pond wasn’t going to big enough for them. So I started to build a new pond.

The new pond is about 750 gallons. The deepest section is 4' and the shallowest is roughly 6 - 8" or so. There are multiple different level shelves in the pond for various water plants to be planted on. The waterfall is about 2’ tall or so. I’m running a Laguna MAX-FLO 900 pump it’s pushing around 650 gph through my Laguna PowerFlo 1000 External Biological Filter. I let the water condition for a couple of days before I transferred the fish from the other pond to this one. Then I went to the fish store and bought 3 more koi and 3 shubunkin. About a week later my mom went out and bought 10 more goldfish. So now in the pond there are 5 koi, 18 goldfish and 3 shubunkin. As for plants I don’t have too much at the moment. I’ve got an arrowhead plant, a few water lettuces, some water hyacinths, and some parrot feather right now. I’m waiting on a friend to bring me some plants from his pond.

I will be adding pictures as soon as I get them loaded on the computer.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum! Post some photos when you get a chance. That 200 gallon was very overloaded. You will like the 750 much more.

Reaction score
I knew that the small pond wasnt going to be big enough after seeing how much my 2 koi had grown since last summer. Never realized until i put them back in. I already enjoy the new pond. The fish seem to enjoy it as well. :icon_smile: I will post pics once they get put on my computer.

Ask a Question