new to the hobby

Reaction score
ok you have told me that koi can live in 2 ft..because of the winter... were i live in san antonio it doenst get that cold, we dont get snow or ice...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You get very hot there in summer right? If so then pond should be deeper to protect the fish from getting too hot at shallow depth of 2ft. You really need to make it deeper or you will have a pond of fish chowder cooking in Summer! Waterfall would be nice to keep the water circulating also.

Reaction score
im going to put two water falls and one fountan inside the pond i also wated to put a roof on top so i wount get to much leafs in the pond..i think that should do the trick...i cant add fish in still summer..i have alot of time to do all the things a have plan..

Reaction score
it
You get very hot there in summer right? If so then pond should be deeper to protect the fish from getting too hot at shallow depth of 2ft. You really need to make it deeper or you will have a pond of fish chowder cooking in Summer! Waterfall would be nice to keep the water circulating also.
the highest is 100 f...right now outside is like 73 f...and its olmost dec..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The water will still heat up and koi cannot take the really hot water .The bridge looks like it is wood so why not take it out and for the sharp rocks they will have to come out also or they will cut the liner open when the pond is full of water .Liners it will depend on the size of your pond and run over a hundred dollars for 20 mil and go up from there .You will have to measure your pond and build your sides up .It has been in the 70's here also but you never know what old man winter will bring and as for summer the heat effects my koi and oxygen gets depleted fast even with my 2 waterfalls ..I still got an aerator .Plus you will need to build a good filter for the koi and watch the ph levels closer and test water more often .koi are fussy goldfish are not .

Reaction score
Being new to ponds please be careful in reading too much into posted opinions. It's a good place to start, but do your own research too. When it comes to opinions you get them all, on every possible choice.

Filters and pumps are not dependent on pond size. It's the amount of fish in the pond that determines filter needs and the filters determine pump needs. You can grow Koi in a bathtub given enough filters. However that take a pretty serious understanding of ponds. If you really want Koi in that size pond then it's time to put the shovel down and start researching.

You can also put small Koi in the pond and move them out when they get too big. I see lots of people do this. But mostly they never live long enough to be moved.

I would ask how big do you think Koi get? How big do you think Goldfish get? Most people starting out can tell the difference between a Koi and a Goldfish. So I'd want to make sure it actually is Koi you want.

This appears to be an existing concrete pond that was already on the property, but wasn't in use, and you've cleaned it out? I've seen this many times and read many posts asking how to seal the cracks. Steps 1 through 43 is to try dozens of goops, and sealers, bubble gum, etc... Endless really. Step 44 is to cover the concrete with a liner. I think it's easier to just do step 44 first.

Why was the pond abandoned? Because it was poorly made and leaked. Why make their mistake your problem?

It's easy to fix...take a sedgehammer to the concrete. It'll probably come out pretty easy. Then dig out the pond you really want and put in a liner.

To protect the liner from sharp rocks and such you can put down old carpet first, carpet padding, and there's a bunch of different geo fabrics you can use. Even newspaper is pretty good.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
doing your own research is good but have to say learning on here what mistakes others have made and learned from helps more .In the 9 years I have raised koi and not had one die on me .I must be doing something right .My aggie and Bert my biggest 2 koi are over 2 feet long and they were only a couple of inches long when i got them .Opinions to me are even more important than just the research and by the way is not most research just opinions anyway .You need to find what works for you once you get your pond built and sometimes things fail and sometimes they work .You never know until you try .I have made many changes to my pond because something will work for awhile and then stops working for you .So ponding is a learning curve and the only way you can learn what works and what doesn't work is by trying it .I have learned a lot on here from the other ponders opinions and will keep learning from all of them .I like seeing what works for them and making good friends I can rely on .You will find the same thing and will love building your new pond and we will love seeing what you do and how it works .Keep asking we love to help .

Reaction score
thanks all you guys, i will look in too. the liner . but first i wil look in to the cracks first...my wife just to work at the san antonio zoo.. they have koi fish in a small pond it was about 2 ft deep..and they have them all year around in the pond..​

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have shade it should not be a problem .Your wife must have loved working at the zoo .Remember also if you have city water you will also have to treat it each time before you put it into the pond.When you are ready to put your liner in unfold and lay it out in the sun to warm up makes it much more flexible and easier to install .

Ask a Question