"New" waterfall

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Boy can I relate - and I can even add more mystery to that game. Three years ago we completely gutted and remodeled our house. 85% do-over. Everything from the venting to the insulation to the drywall to the floors, new kitchen, new bathrooms... the works. Dealt with many many contractors - some were AMAZING. Eventually found a great plumber and a superb electrician, excellent HVAC people. HOWEVER in the process we made lots of appointments with "professionals" who, like you said, never called back, never showed up, etc.

The most puzzling ones however were the guys who kept the appointment, spent several hours going over the work that we wanted done, taking notes, and then... Nothing. No call, no bid, nada. I mean, tell me to my face if the job is too big, too small, too whatever... but don't waste my time while I wait for you to get back to me with a price and then just leave me hanging! Very weird. My husband started calling them back and leaving a message - "just let me know that you aren't dead. I'm worried." haha!

In short, yes - we do feel VERY LUCKY that we found someone who knew what they were doing!
Yeah, I do most anything myself. I worked in construction for so long. I always paid attention to the other trades and asked questions.
On the few occasions I've highered someone, I was usually not happy with their work. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist. I usually say to myself...I could have done that and done a better job too!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The new look of the waterfall looks great with it cascading down more over the entire area, well worth the money spent on a pond contractor that knows what they are doing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I always gave a number it may not have been one you might have liked but . i had one customer when they opened the door the smell almost made me gag//" not saying that's you in anyyyyyyyyyyway @Lisak1 " Well they were a referral so i gave them a number but i didn't want the job so much i was afraid that i would not be the only one to double my price so i tippled my number. You can imagine my shock when i got the call and got the job. For three times my standard rate yea i did the job but before we demoed the whole house i had a commercial cleaning company go in and clean the place.
i had asked one of my helpers to go put some new light bulbs in the kitchen globe above the table . he came back confused and said there is no globe . i walked in and low and behold it was a Shanda leer with so much dust on it it was round. I made good money but wished i was one of those who never gave a big.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I always gave a number it may not have been one you might have liked but . i had one customer when they opened the door the smell almost made me gag//" not saying that's you in anyyyyyyyyyyway @Lisak1 " Well they were a referral so i gave them a number but i didn't want the job so much i was afraid that i would not be the only one to double my price so i tippled my number. You can imagine my shock when i got the call and got the job. For three times my standard rate yea i did the job but before we demoed the whole house i had a commercial cleaning company go in and clean the place.
i had asked one of my helpers to go put some new light bulbs in the kitchen globe above the table . he came back confused and said there is no globe . i walked in and low and behold it was a Shanda leer with so much dust on it it was round. I made good money but wished i was one of those who never gave a big.
I hear ya, sometimes the best jobs are the ones you don’t get. Fortunately, my work doesn’t take me into peoples houses, but it can be plenty nasty in other ways.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1: Nice to see ya on the Youtube train. Hope we get lots of updates. Looks beautiful; can't even tell the crew had been there.

sometimes the best jobs are the ones you don’t get

I used to manage very large construction projects in a previous life (but the boys never let me drive the excavator haha) and I think the most important lesson I learned is that success requires consistently profitable projects. You never get to take your eye off the ball because it only takes one bad project to erase years of success. Guess that applies to most things in life, too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You're too kind. My kids tell me I videotape like a trained chimpanzee. I think the chimp could do better!

Ask a Question