Newbie needs tips! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Awesome!! Ok definitely getting one of the Aquascape aerators!

So what kind of plants does everyone have? I'm assuming irises and lilies are good marginals? What about floaters? I've heard that duckweed will literally take over a pond or aquarium, so I guess I wouldn't want that would I? I don't really know of any other floaters, though.
Water hyacinth there are great filters and reproduce quickly. Once they are established they will remove a lot off the nutrients the algae needs. they also block the sun light so the algae won’t get it.the added advantage is once you have enough you can start thinning them out. Every time you get rid of them you are removing the nutrients and contaminants they have absorbed. Only down fall is they are annuals. But I buy 3a year and half way though the summer I am composting bags of them at a time. Did I forget to mention they have beautiful flowers

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@warren I love that you mentioned the flowers! They are awesome, aren’t they? When I first saw one, I was excited just to have a flower — but then I got up close and personal to take a picture — it was stunning!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@warren I love that you mentioned the flowers! They are awesome, aren’t they? When I first saw one, I was excited just to have a flower — but then I got up close and personal to take a picture — it was stunning!
I like to tie mine together with fishing Lin so I can keep them where I want them. Keeping them tightly together seem to make them bloom better. Still haven’t bought any this year the ones I have seen a pretty sad still

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like to tie mine together with fishing Lin so I can keep them where I want them. Keeping them tightly together seem to make them bloom better. Still haven’t bought any this year the ones I have seen a pretty sad still
I have done something similar to corral mine, but usually use a pool noodle or a circle of tubing. Yes, I too have read that they do better when grouped together. I don’t have any yet, either. It’s hard to get them my state as they are considered an invasive plant.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and post pics of the pond as that really helps us understand your pond better .I built a little house for mine as it does need to be dry but needs air also to keep from over heating and to keep filter cleaner .litle house near the bridge for aerator and other things
100_8789.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow - so many options! I really hope I can find some water hyacinths! Those sound amazing! The deepest part of the pond is about 3 feet, so maybe I'll get a few more lilies for those spots.

I love your little bridge, Sissy - I wish I had a spot narrow enough for one! And what kind of turtles do you have, TurtleMommy? I have kept turtles for ~15 years! They have all been maps (Mississippi, Common, False). I feel like I can't put any in my pond though since it's barely 3' deep (so they probably couldn't over-winter here in Ohio). Pplus I have a giant freaking egret that loves to land in my pond and look around! He's never really been able to catch any of my fish, but they're small enough to slip in between the rocks super fast. I'm thinking captive maps probably wouldn't be able to hide quick enough.

Hopefully off to a local pond/aquarium place tomorrow! I'll let you all know what I get! ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
If you don't want to blow a ton of money, you can take the plants slow. By one or two of the ones you fancy. See how they do in your pond, if they make it through the winter, etc. You can divide almost anything after a while. I'm still experimenting and figuring out what comes back an what doesn't.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Hummingbird2 I have box turtles! In fact, the reason I have a pond now is because of those silly turtles! Boxies are non-aquatic, but they still need a source of clean fresh water. So, I have a special bog — sort of like a satellite pond/bog — inside their habitat. It is connected to the main pond. The turtles have their own “watering hole,” and the bog + plants help with the pond filtration! Kinda neat! Don’t have any aquatic turtles, though. The box turtle habitat is completely separate from the pond, but adjacent to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That sounds so neat - like a real little ecosystem! I would love to have something like that! I don't even think we're allowed to have box turtles in Ohio - I think it's illegal now to own any species of reptile that is native to the state. It SUPER sucks. :(

Ok maybe I'll have some pics after I get some plants in a couple weeks. Thanks all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ummm ok - problem!! I'm pretty sure there's a leak somewhere in the pond! :( I've been thinking it's been losing water, so I marked a brick and stuck it in there yesterday and I swear it's lost one whole freaking inch in just 24 hours! So do I have to drain the whole thing and move all the rocks around and look for a tear or hole in every little crevice of the liner!? And if I do find a hole what do I patch it with? But what if I *don't* find a hole!? *sigh* . . . Tell me what to do! :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ummm ok - problem!! I'm pretty sure there's a leak somewhere in the pond! :( I've been thinking it's been losing water, so I marked a brick and stuck it in there yesterday and I swear it's lost one whole freaking inch in just 24 hours! So do I have to drain the whole thing and move all the rocks around and look for a tear or hole in every little crevice of the liner!? And if I do find a hole what do I patch it with? But what if I *don't* find a hole!? *sigh* . . . Tell me what to do! :(
I would check your plumbing first. A loose hose clamp or bulkhead fitting can leak a lot of water. I would not drain pond yet if it is the liner the water will stop leaking when it reaches the hole. If it is closer to the top it will save you a lot of time instead of draining whole pond. As far as patching it there are members with more experience with patches than I am. Good luck I know someone will be able to help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh boy . . . I don't even know where the plumbing IS! It's all underground, isn't it!? . . . And there is DEFINITELY a leak somewhere - I refilled the pond and re-marked the brick and it is at LEAST an inch down in just 24 hours! :cry::cry::cry:

Ok this looks like a plan: http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Info/find-a-leak

Still don't know how to get to the plumbing though . . .

Cynthia :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's a good guide to finding a leak. Step 1. stop circulating water. A non, scientific recollection of people's problems here would suggest a diversion in your stream or a low spot in the pond are most likely. Don't go digging for the plumbing unless you have to. If you do, detailed photos will help to tell you where to look.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When you do turn off the water, disconnect the pump from the rest of the plumbing. Otherwise you could still have a siphon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

Ask a Question