sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am just cheap :);)mY Well back 11 years ago was just under 3 thousand dollars and now a well around here is over 5 thousand dollars .Here they had a thing any well under 200 ft was 2 thousand dollars and after that you pay by the foot .I told the guy if you have to dig to China to get a good flow of water go for it .2 years ago I replaced the pump and had to pull it all up went all the way across my property and my neighbors property and down the driveway .Never thought it would end .I have dug up so many rocks on this property that I have come to the conclusion that cow poo turns to rocks .This used to be pasture land until farm closed down over 50 years ago .I have more mooing neighbors than talking neighbors .Well never know cows may talk and I do not hear them :cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow::cow:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Better cows than jackasses! :mooning: Sorry, that's as close as I could get. I'm not j.w., you know!
John

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well i'm now filtered tempolrarily.
I took and old above ground pool Pump/Filter combo that had no filter. Chinamart didn't have a filter to fit it, so I stuffed Burlap in it and then a piece of Foam above that.
The water is clearing nicely and I will check it daily for the next week.

Here's my Monstrosity!

Attachments

• 000_1612.JPG
    000_1612.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 273

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The farm has them too and they have sheep ,goats ,chickens and even 2 emu's now .Hate the emu's they spit at you when you are going for a walk .But learned how to get back at them by carrying a squirt gun with me .you spit i shoot ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
at least burlap is cheap and I like your corner rocks .rustic reclaimed I would call your pond

Reaction score
NICE!

That's what I was going for.
Above it is a mound of topsoil, coming down one side is a "Babbling Brook" , the rest above will be weed barrier'd and small trees with other ass'd plants.
Against the shop will be Climbing Roses end to end.

Jim Bob croaked tonight, first I've heard him since he made his home in there. Maybe another will show up.
I haven't seen much as far as bugs on the water, so threw him some fish food.

"RUSTIC RECLAIMED"...YEA..I LIKE IT.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Need to build your self a small log cabin up there on the dirt and then an outhouse and put in mini shrubs and trees .Oh and a mini windmill to oh and maybe a tent for campers or a teepee for indians a campfire set up also .How cool would that be

Attachments

• out house 002.JPG
    out house 002.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
I really have to be careful, I would do all those things.
I plan on some interesting things, Garden Scale railroad, a miniature dock with a boat and a lot of plants in the water to name a few.
I built a Live steam model train, its very rustic and I also built rail for it, just have to let the rain settle the soil before I lay track.
I still have to get the plants in too, so..this is a long term summer long project. The initial install and plumbing/wiring and shaping was a long process.
I started digging 2 months ago and did it by hand. I understand if you folks think i'm insane for being excited about a Frog...man I really get that.

But it's fun, to build something with a pick and a shovel, then add water and boom theres a seemingly happy little life form hangin' out.
I still need to get a PH kit and see where i'm at before fish, but i'm having fun...yea..i'm having fun.

That's whats important,

Tom in Roland Ok.
Born in Jersey, Teen years in Southern California and 20 years in Vegas, I'm happy in the OK country.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Here's a thought.
How about treating the roof water before putting it into the pond? Have 2 or of 3 of these:
a radial flow filter
a sand/gravel filter
moving bed filter
Together the filters will remove some of the contaminants.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
born in PA until 3 years of age and Raised in NJ and retired to VA 11 years ago .ponding is fun but lots of work and problem is you are always changing things .When I get this rebuild done I will relax a little .I have to fix some of the stuff ruined in all the high winds we were getting .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Hello all,

Well i'm now filtered tempolrarily.
I took and old above ground pool Pump/Filter combo that had no filter. Chinamart didn't have a filter to fit it, so I stuffed Burlap in it and then a piece of Foam above that.
The water is clearing nicely and I will check it daily for the next week.

Here's my Monstrosity!

Burlap decomposes rapidly in water, adding to your bio-load. Use a synthetic material, unless you change it frequently!
John

Reaction score
Folks I have a new problem,

I have Algae growing fast, the water hit 60 degrees day before yesterday (3/21/14), now have a layer of algae on the entire submerged liner.
I can live with it and think it may be a sign of a healthy system, but what are the dangers?

Tom

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No dangers from it, the stuff that grows short on the liner is actually a good algae to have.

Reaction score
Ah, Cool.

I just cleaned the foam filter.
I am using an old Above ground pool pump, I put that Burlap like stuff for hanging plants, in the bottom and cut two disks
of dark Gray Foam for the upper part. That's my filter system.
Water comes in the bottom and out the top.

The foam was slimey, so washed it out and put it back in. That was after 4 days running.
Other than that the pond is starting to clear a little and seems to be healthy.

Thanks again for your input,

Tom

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well 10 feeder fish went into the pond this morning, their small, so hard to find.
None are floating, so I am really happy.

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas.

Tom

Ask a Question