Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpg
Hello all. I am new to all this and haven't got a clue. I have acquired 10 fish that have been kept in a old header tank from someone's loft. The fish have been kept in there for at least six years that I know. Every week the elderly gentleman that owned them would put them in a bucket pressure wash the tank out refill with a hose and pop them back. As this is getting to much for him I offered to look after them. after reading and reading some more I now know that this is not the best thing to be doing. The fish are still in the tank that they came in but we have added a pump and a filter we also have a air stone going. I have convinced my husband to build them a pond. We have to build up as digging down really isn't an option. We have concrete block laid flat the mix is 3 to 1 can any one advise if this will be strong enough to hold the weight. I am hoping so as my husband has already started it and if so how long is it best left to dry out before we fill it. I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any advice. O the fish we have all look like goldfish apart from one that is rather longer than the others and is all white in colour.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Joanne,
welcome first of all. What you're doing is fine, My pond is constructed the same way and blocks laid flat will take the pressure of the water. You'll need a liner, and I'd recommend EDPM rather than PVC. There are a few suppliers on the net, and make sure you get the measurements right, plus an allowance for cutting.

If you take a look at my showcase, there are some photos taken during construction.
Chris

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Nice of you to save them! And give them a good home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all. Chris how long did you leave the cement to dry properly before lining and filling. I did buy a liner and told my husband the size but that has gone out the window and we need one bigger. I can see these fish are going to be expensive .

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Thank you all. Chris how long did you leave the cement to dry properly before lining and filling. I did buy a liner and told my husband the size but that has gone out the window and we need one bigger. I can see these fish are going to be expensive .
It will all be worth it....... in time. Coming here was a good move(y).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We don't call that "expensive"... we call that "necessary" and "fun" and "therapeutic" and "our hobby". Welcome! Can't wait to see your progress!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and things always change .You did not mention what kind of fish or what size they are .Remember to get prepared for winter you will need a heater or a breather like some use on here

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you every one. I do find them therapeutic as for a hobby maybe in time. Sissy you mention a breather what is that and you ask what kind of fish well my best is nine look like large gold fish and one is a large white thing sorry I really have no idea what I have as soon as I can get some good picks I will post on hear. My husband said the white one is about 10 inch roughly all the others are smaller.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It can be overwhelming and expensive at first but the joy and peace and therapy it has provided me in the year I've had my pond is well worth the investment. Good luck and ask away, we were all newbies.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
forgot to include aggravation in that mix because it is just a fact of ponding .Frustration and aggravation when things go wrong .It is not always honey and cream and things can go wrong and when they do you just have to bite the bullet and figure it out and ask for help on here .

Ask a Question