Nitrite

Reaction score
Our pond is about 2 months old, 800 gallons or so, Laguna filter supposedly good for 1400 gallons. Ammonia reads zero but Nitrite is about .5 to 1 ppm. I understand that the bio part of the filter just might not be fully up to speed. I've added a couple different pro-biotics and I would really like to see the Nitrite down to zero.

Should I turn off the uv in the Laguna to help build up the bacteria?

Bob

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If the water is clear yes, turn it off for a while. A pond with fish has no such thing as a 0 ammonia reading. fish constantly release waste/ammonia. Some test kits don't start reading until .25-.50 so it kind of misleads some new pond keepers when doing water tests. . But I assure you they are there, the nitrite reading is so much brighter it's easier to read, a reading below 1 is not that bad in a new pond but it can cause some greening of the water as the algae try to grow off of it due to lack of nitrates. It's a good idea during this time to feed very lightly and even skip a day feed a day until all catches up. If your getting nitrites the bio is working so you shouldn't be long having to do this before it really starts settling out.

Reaction score
Thanks, fishin4cars. As you might guess, we put a couple fish in the pond at about 2 weeks and maybe fed them too much (newbie mistake and y'know, if you love those fish, you love those fish) and the ammonia went up for a few days and then the nitrite went up. within a week or two, the ammonia went down to near zero. Using one of those 8 drops of #1 and 8 drops of #2 test kits and it is difficult to tell the difference between zero and .25 ppm. So now the ammonia has been way down for about a month but nitrite stays up around 1 ppm. The fish would eat a lot more than we feed them. And, yes, the water is very clear.

We have three plants and a half dozen mosquito fish (forgot the real name) in there and just noticed an hour ago there is a frog in there. Should I evict the frog?

I'll turn the uv off and keep watching the nitrite. How long before I should turn it back on again?
Bob

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Bob, if the water is clear leave the UV off. No need for it unless you start getting green water. the bulbs only last for about a year of use so the more you use them now the less godd they will do wihen you need it. Add more plants, Your pond during the summer should have about 50-70% coverage with plants, this will help keep the nitrates in check. if your reading 1ppm of nitrite regularly then your going to have a increase in Nitrates soon, the more plants the more stable the temos stay, the less green water and the less nitrates, plus more oxygen in the water. Keep in mind Koi and goldfish when healthy and happy are ALWAYS hungry, they are pigs! don't make them look like pigs, feed lightly and you'll be happier with the pond as a whole. There are some folks that don't feed their fish and they grow and reproduce. I've never seen a healthy fish starve because the owner didn't feed, I've seen hundreds of fish die from to much love over the years. I call it giving them to much love!LOL:yikesu:.

Reaction score
Thanks again! Very helpful.
I'm sure you all know there is all kinds of advice out there, some say it is this and others say it is that. When it makes sense scientifically, it is a lot easier to understand. One dealer told me that they wouldn't put uv on the output of the filter if it wasn't needed so of course you should keep it on. But I would rather believe what makes scientific sense.

Thank you, sir, for the combination of experience and science in your helpful advice.

Bob

Reaction score
Just to follow up... I did turn off (unplug) the uv lamp on the filter and now one week later, the nitrite has gone down to near zero. ammonia is also down near zero.

We have wonderful well water so I routinely change out about 10% of the pond water each week. The pond is around 76 degrees f and the well water comes out at about 72. I am hoping this change in temperature is not a problem.

Bob

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As long as you add the water kind of slow it should not bother at all, Keep in mind though it won't always come out at 72, even way down in the ground there is still some variation in temps, but all in all if the PH and Hardness are about correct sounds like you can do the water changes with virtually no issues.

Reaction score
Thanks (do we call you fishin4cars?) for the wisdom. Our water is very strange. I'm told it is a 600+ ft. deep well where most wells in the area are 35 ft to 300 ft deep. Our water is pumped into a huge (maybe 15,000 gallon) storage tank. The top of the storage tank is maybe 2 or 3 feet underground. It seems like the water temperature stays very close to 72 this time of year. This water is the best tasting water I have had from a well - as good or better than most bottled water.

Anyway.... Thanks again for your help. very valuable.
Bob

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, My actual name is Larkin, I have been called fishin, F4C, and a couple of other names by my ex that I can't use on here. LOL I've had that screen name for over close to 12 years. I use it on ebay, here, and a number of different forums I use.

I also collect NASCAR diecast cars as my other hobby, This is where the cars part comes in. LOL

Attachments

• 486167618f8c9cf9078d5b11c76e7300_2762.jpg
    486167618f8c9cf9078d5b11c76e7300_2762.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 297
  • a17eeef2b19ee5aff727f37de95f1275_2764.jpg
    a17eeef2b19ee5aff727f37de95f1275_2764.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 294
  • d37196fe7919b36102553b9f9fe133f8_28449.jpg
    d37196fe7919b36102553b9f9fe133f8_28449.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 316
  • fa1bde4f49d19cdb30aa6dcf8970a975_2761.jpg
    fa1bde4f49d19cdb30aa6dcf8970a975_2761.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 312

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ghoti said:
Thanks (do we call you fishin4cars?) for the wisdom. Our water is very strange. I'm told it is a 600+ ft. deep well where most wells in the area are 35 ft to 300 ft deep. Our water is pumped into a huge (maybe 15,000 gallon) storage tank. The top of the storage tank is maybe 2 or 3 feet underground. It seems like the water temperature stays very close to 72 this time of year. This water is the best tasting water I have had from a well - as good or better than most bottled water.

Anyway.... Thanks again for your help. very valuable.
Bob

We are on a well also, love the water, no clue how deep it is. You and I should bottle it and call it maryland water, maybe we could become rich! lol

Reaction score
In the past 25 years, we've lived in 4 houses with well water. This one is by far the best of all for water. No smell, best taste and it is inexpensive :)

So, that is a good idea, Addy. Merry-water. Well-ness-water. Eau-for-you. Oh yeah.
Bob

Reaction score
I'll be rooting for the rookie longshot, Travis. His debut is at the brickyard at the end of July. He used to mow our lawn a good number of years ago. He is truly a good guy.
Bob

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm a Harvick fan but just recently started pulling for the hometown boy Ricky Stenhouse.

jagan314

"CARP DIEM"
Reaction score
Hey Larkin, can you recommend a good "water test kit?" Believe it or not, I do not have one that I use.. I monitor from what I know.. either cut back on feeding, etc... I've got one fish thats VERY sensitive and I watch her.. If her fins are at all red streaked.. I slow down or stop feeding immediately. (this has been through years of trial and error and fish loss.) I'm just afraid that once I start reading numbers I'll get OBSESSIVE.. (not good)

Ask a Question