No longer have a pond!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
This is our last house until we can not take care of it, then will just hire in help until we are broke. Nobody will want our landscaping ponds, mowing etc.

I don't do it for the future buyer I did it for us for now and for us until we are no longer here.

This is exactly what we are doing Addy. All outdoor work and maintence is hired out. It is also why I ask for so many opinions and instructions even though I am a veteran non-fish pond owner. Experience has taught me that it is somewhat difficult to transfer the desired "look", "feel", result wanted from a hired persons actions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Such a beautiful pond and property. Wishing you the best on your new home and maybe a future pond build. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
My son and I built the pond for us. I guess I never gave any thought to the impact when the time comes to sell. You left a beautiful oasis for the new owner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I got a chuckle the other week -- we were out digging the bigger pond and our lawn dude came by to mow while we were out working. He said, and I quote, "I know you will love your pond when it's finished, but it's not for me. I'd rather have space." Space? The lot is the same size regardless of if there's a pond or boring old grass! SMH!!!!

Then again, he also says that of all his clients, my yard takes the longest to mow, even though it isn't the biggest, because of all the edging around flower beds. I guess we have different priorities than most people ;-)

Anywho, I'm glad you were able to find the right buyer! Congrats on moving, and looking forward to seeing your new project evolve =D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tmann, Thanks for sharing your last pond photos. I hope you have a pond again in your future endeavors. Oh ...and as you know there is no requirement to having a pond to being a member here so hope to see you posting again soon! We can all use your experience and knowledge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Ponds can be a hindrance to selling, definitely, especially if the prospects have small children and it's unfenced. On the flipside though if it's fenced, looks pretty, is easy to maintain and there's enough space in the rest of the garden it's usually seen as a plus, a 'feature'.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well darn! Hopefully your hard work will be appreciated by the new owners! So, you said your new place will be smaller and that it will be a while before you can consider a pond.... But you are planning to have another pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Well it has been a long time since I have been here. This past May we sold our house and it was sad to see the pond go and all the hard work we put into it. Hopefully the new owners can keep it going. Couple last photos we took are below.View attachment 82355 View attachment 82356 View attachment 82357 View attachment 82358

You really had a VERY beautiful pond and yard. I recall seeing pictures you posted previously, and I always thought your pond/yard were one of the nicest I've seen posted.

That's too bad that it was a hindrance in selling your house. I will be putting my house up for sale next month. I'm hoping my pond won't be a hindrance. My pond is not nearly as extensive as yours (takes up about 1/5 of the yard), but I do realize that some buyers will be turned off because of the additional maintenance that the pond requires, and the smaller open area of the yard. I guess if it becomes too much of a hindrance to selling, I could fill it in, since I'm only moving about 30 minutes away... But I'd really hate to do that...

Reaction score
I always liked your pond Tmann and what you did with your backyard, and I'm sure the people who bought your place liked it too.
There are a lot of factors that come into play when selling a home and it's true that having a pond can turn off some people, but so can a swimming pool, having a big lawn to mow (a personal turn off for me), having stairs in the house (a turn off for elderly or infirm people), having a particularly small yard or kitchen, etc,,, but generally the top of the list of all is a high price tag. Slash the selling price of the house and a lot of people are willing to overlook any perceived negatives. In general if you are unwilling, or unable, to drastically lower the selling price of your home for a quick sell then you'll have to wait for the right buyers and 8 months doesn't sound too unreasonable.
Recently we have been entertaining the idea of selling our place and moving to another province, and so I have a TO Do list of unfinished project I plan to start checking off a list, but filling in the pond is not on that list. Top of the list is turning our sauna room into a bathroom. We only have one bathroom in the house right now and although the sauna room is nice it's not as much of a selling feature as having two bathrooms is. Besides, I'm planning to add a steam generator to the shower stall in this new bathroom to turn it into a steam shower. ;)
I hated leaving the pond we built in our last place, and I was determined to make any new pond better (and slightly bigger), if and when we got around to building it, which we did, although it took a few years before we were able to get around to it. One thing I did was to make the new pond easier to maintain, so hopefully any potential buyers will recognize that, although I may have to instill that bit of information into my realtor so they can pass it along.
Of course we also did many other extensive renovations to this place to the tune of $40,000+ and I know I'll likely never get monetarily compensated for all the personal sweat and toil we put into it, but as long as we can pull out a little more $$$ then we put into it I'll be happy, I'll just have to absorb the bulk of the labor costs I guess.
I plan to make our pond and courtyard our prime selling feature to hopefully attract the right kind of buyers right from the start, and to any buyers who think the pond is a negative...... :finger:

Finally got use that emoticon. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I always liked your pond Tmann and what you did with your backyard, and I'm sure the people who bought your place liked it too.
There are a lot of factors that come into play when selling a home and it's true that having a pond can turn off some people, but so can a swimming pool, having a big lawn to mow (a personal turn off for me), having stairs in the house (a turn off for elderly or infirm people), having a particularly small yard or kitchen, etc,,, but generally the top of the list of all is a high price tag. Slash the selling price of the house and a lot of people are willing to overlook any perceived negatives. In general if you are unwilling, or unable, to drastically lower the selling price of your home for a quick sell then you'll have to wait for the right buyers and 8 months doesn't sound too unreasonable.
Recently we have been entertaining the idea of selling our place and moving to another province, and so I have a TO Do list of unfinished project I plan to start checking off a list, but filling in the pond is not on that list. Top of the list is turning our sauna room into a bathroom. We only have one bathroom in the house right now and although the sauna room is nice it's not as much of a selling feature as having two bathrooms is. Besides, I'm planning to add a steam generator to the shower stall in this new bathroom to turn it into a steam shower. ;)
I hated leaving the pond we built in our last place, and I was determined to make any new pond better (and slightly bigger), if and when we got around to building it, which we did, although it took a few years before we were able to get around to it. One thing I did was to make the new pond easier to maintain, so hopefully any potential buyers will recognize that, although I may have to instill that bit of information into my realtor so they can pass it along.
Of course we also did many other extensive renovations to this place to the tune of $40,000+ and I know I'll likely never get monetarily compensated for all the personal sweat and toil we put into it, but as long as we can pull out a little more $$$ then we put into it I'll be happy, I'll just have to absorb the bulk of the labor costs I guess.
I plan to make our pond and courtyard our prime selling feature to hopefully attract the right kind of buyers right from the start, and to any buyers who think the pond is a negative...... :finger:

Finally got use that emoticon. :D

I'm planning on using my pond as a prime selling feature as well, as it really does set my house apart from others in the neighborhood... and I'd really hate to fill it in... But if it comes down to it, and it's either cutting the price, waiting longer, or filling it in, I'll choose the last option. This being said, I really hope to find the right buyer who will appreciate the pond. Besides the obvious plus of selling my home, I'd really love to see the pond that I put a lot of work into continue to be enjoyed by the new owners.

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Beautiful pond and setup! Too bad you had to let it go. Hopefully you will build another pond in the next house and won't have any issues at all.

I beleive that a pond is both a hindrance and a bonus to selling the house. It is a hindrance to 95% of people and a bonus to 5% of people. It can be that little extra something to set your house apart, but it could also be looked at as high maintenance. I always watch those tv shows where people are buying houses and they see a house with a pool and complain...here I am thinking OMG I WANT A POOL. I think it depends on the size of the pond, where the pond is located, what the yard size is....etc.

My father and I built our pond and I would be very sad to have to let it go, I hope to have it for a very long time, however if we were to sell the house, I would simply drain the pond, take out the fish and liner, fill it in and go build it again in the next house. We built our pond semi raised so that it would be more "moveable".

Regardless, good luck in the future and it would be a pleasure to welcome you back with a new pond!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well it's been a little over a year since I last posted. We built a new home and have been here 10 months, it has a very small yard, the type of subdivision it is in is unique. It is more like a small town in that you can walk to everything, has plenty of restaurants that are owned by entrepreneurs some that even live in the subdivision. We have office buildings, small boutiques, a bank, an ice cream shop, and a bed and breakfast. The only thing we don't have is a gas station or grocery store but there is one of those just a few miles away. During the summer we have a street party every other week in the town square, and once a month there are concerts and a movie at the amphitheater. This is definitely not for everyone as you really have to like people and because the houses are so close, the average size lot is probably 1/4 of an acre if that. We live on an alley side so I only have one neighbor on the one side and the alley drove on the other so my yard is bigger than most. Not much privacy but we are ok with that as we enjoy talking to our neighbors as they are all really good.

We haven't decided whether we are going to put another pond in or not if we do it will be nowhere near as big as our last one as that would take up 1/3 of my yard and I need a little room for my dog to run. We are just now planning out our landscape so we will see what I come up with.

Todd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the update :)

Your lucky to have neighbors you enjoy especially when you are so close to each other.

Maybe you can fit a smaller above ground pond in your new yard?

Ask a Question