No power for 12+ hours. How F@#ked is my pond?

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
We had a monster storm roll through Chicagoland yesterday leaving our neighborhood without power since 4PM CST yesterday. I understand that the beneficial bacteria will die after so many hours, but what else will I need to do once the power is restored and the pump turns back on?

Thanks,

Lew

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The rule that I have read is 5 hours lifespan without running water. I would just watch your levels for a week after the power is turned on and if it starts to rise, do a water change and stay ahead of it until the pond stabilizes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had mine go out for 12 hours but after 4 I went to Lowe's and bought a generator.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.

I have been doing weekly water changes already. I'll just do one this Monday and add more beneficial bacteria afterwards.

Cheers,

Lew

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
It was brutal. Where I live there are a lot of old old giant elm trees. Some of them were blown apart. Hence all the downed power lines. Our block was barely touched...:bowdown:

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
Well, I got a call at 2PM CST that the power was restored. Something really really bizarre happened while I was gone. Came home and the pond looked like a water hyacinth murder scene. :bowdown: Two plants were pulled out of the water, half EATEN, and dried up on the side of the pond. Lilly pots looked like they got moved too, and the first blossom was half eaten. I was able to salvage 3 of the 6 hyacinth plants. What the hell would of done this??? It had to of happened while the power was still off. My neighbor was out all day working i his yard and didn't notice anything. He does have cats, but I doubt they did it. Squirrel perhaps???

Reaction score
could you have had a visiting racoon?? maybe he blew in from the storm!!!!
Best count your fish.....We had that storm here in ind. too. Didn't do anything here,just dumped buckets of rain but 5 miles down the road was horrible wind & rain. I'm feeling quite lucky!!

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
No fish to count. Never had any to begin with. This was during the daytime, so unless the raccoon was rabid, I doubt it was one.

Could it of been a duck???

Reaction score
DoDad said:
I had mine go out for 12 hours but after 4 I went to Lowe's and bought a generator.

I'd have done the same thing. What I did do just for a stop gap was buy a power inverter (cheap). Already had two deep cell marine cell batteries.
I think this would run most low wattage pumps or an aerator if you have one. You could stick an air-head source in your filter if possible.

generators a better idea because those batteries aren't going to last very long.

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
DrDave said:
Raccoons are nocturnal. It was probably an Egret or GBH.

I called the local store where I got the plants. I asked them what could of done it. They did say raccoons were a possibility. With the storms being so severe on Friday, it could of made them leave their dens\nests prematurely making them scavenge during the day hours on Saturday. Regardless, nothing has come by since Saturday. Pond is back to normal. Haven't tested the water yet, but it's super clear.

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
How's it going now, I am in Joliet about 45 minutes South of you... My power didn't go out, hope you are doing alright.

Do you have any pics of your pond? I am in the process of building an in ground L shaped one in my back yard.

Shane

Sweet Lew

Pond Noob
Reaction score
shanezam203 said:
How's it going now, I am in Joliet about 45 minutes South of you... My power didn't go out, hope you are doing alright.

Do you have any pics of your pond? I am in the process of building an in ground L shaped one in my back yard.

Shane

Hey Shane,

We're fine. Last nights storm was intense too!! I have pics "floating" around here somewhere. Check in the Equipment forum and check for my post about a small bio-filer. There are pics in there.

Well, The pond got hit again yesterday. 2 of the 3 remaining hyacinth plants are gone. Eaten. It's puzzling...I'm not looking to setup a web cam or anything, but maybe one these days I'll see it out there. I'm wondering if I'll have better luck with water lettuce.

Ask a Question