Noob waterfall with pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to go against the grain a little here. "No surprise to the regulars'' the first shelf should be guided by how large you edging stones will be if you have 8 inch stones than a 4 inch shelf for the coping rocks to sit on would be more ideal. Then you can place your next shelf for plants etc.
If that shelf is the ten inches than one question is are you planning to have stone in the pond for the bacteria and more natural look . If you are than 10 inches at best will probably become 6 to 8 inches. A little shallow for lillies but perfect for pickerel rush "weed"
And if you are thinking lillies or c a t tails or other invasive plants with strong root systems. Than digging depressions twice the size or close to . Twice that of the pots you'll use . This way the plants roots are controlled in a pot. Yet the pot is depressed in the pits you dig before the liner goes in you can literally make it look like there's no potato AL if you plan it out right.
Wish I had found that sentence somewhere before I built.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I went a bit quiet, but I have been busy. The help here definitely gave me the confidence to even attempt my pond. It is very modest compared to some and due to the size of the garden (and my wife) I dropped the bog idea.
So we have ended up with a 6' x 4' x 2' deep pond with waterfall. A submerged pump feeds a tetra waterfall filter with approx 2' head height.
Plants and pond plants went in late, so plenty of maturing and camouflaging to go, but hopefully the picture and video will give you an idea of what's to come, with more planting in the spring. The gold fish have settled in well and as both cats fell in before they were introduced, I am hoping they leave them alone.
Please comment positive or negative as it is still work in progress (Inc the bog if I can convince the wife).
Post note I cannot get the video to load

Attachments

• 20220902_102521.jpg
    20220902_102521.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220902_102436.jpg
    20220902_102436.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 19

Ask a Question