j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really been enjoying fall fires at the pond. On a side note I finally found out what was taking my koi earlier in the year. Finally caught the culprit in the act on video, but thankfully the pond is netted so there was nothing for him to get.

View attachment 154865
Was that an owl? Uh oh looks like you will need a net! I have one over my pond otherwise all my fish would be gone. I put mine up high hooked on metal fence posts so I can get under it easy if need be. Have it hanging down on side too hooked to a short wire garden fence otherwise things come in through the side, like Mr or Mrs sneaky heron, raccoons etc. Easy to unhook and area and lift up the net and attach it to the top rope I have weaved around the net edge of the whole thing. Not as pretty w/the net but I'm not willing to lose my fish!

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_9730.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Was that an owl? Uh oh looks like you will need a net! I have one over my pond otherwise all my fish would be gone. I put mine up high hooked on metal fence posts so I can get under it easy if need be. Have it hanging down on side too hooked to a short wire garden fence otherwise things come in through the side, like Mr or Mrs sneaky heron, raccoons etc. Easy to unhook and area and lift up the net and attach it to the top rope I have weaved around the net edge of the whole thing. Not as pretty w/the net but I'm not willing to lose my fish!

View attachment 154884

View attachment 154885
Apologies for the crazy late response, I’ve had a lot going in my life lately and finally have some time to refocus on the pond. Yeah, it was an owl and the culprit for all my missing fish when I first started up my pond. The pond is netted now and may remain that way when I’m not actually outside enjoying it. I am taking advantage of the warm winter weather and tweaking my pond by permanently sealing up my snorkel in the bog. After that I’m going to redo my stone patio seating arrangement for better viewing enjoyment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you haven't already, you may want to consider turning off the pond lights at night - gives the fish a better chance at concealment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lights on I would imagine would be like looking trough night vision glance at a light source and your blinded . Owls don't have any problems seeing at night other than hot spots from lights

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
why are you doing that?

not often will an owl go fishing but frogs are another story
I definitely did not provide big enough escape slits for the water beneath my bog with the amount of water I’m pushing through the bog so if I try to go “full throttle” on the pump the pressure causes a volcano effect of water gushing out the vertical snorkel pipe. So I’m just capping off the top of the pipe so it forces all pressure beneath the bog. Maybe if I muster up the energy down the road I’ll redo the bog plumbing below, but for now this was an easiest short term fix.

And I didn’t believe it was owl until I caught it on camera. I haven’t lost a fish since I’ve netted the pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They do make extensions for the snorkel don't know if that additional head pressure would be enough.
How many gph are you pushing to the bog?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
They do make extensions for the snorkel don't know if that additional head pressure would be enough.
How many gph are you pushing to the bog?
my snorkel is DIY using irrigation drainage piping. I filled the vertical end of the snorkel with 3/4 gravel, capped it, and it’s doing as good as I can expect without fully sealing it. The Water still spews a bit from the vertical pipe when I have the pump valve opened all the way up, but I can tell water is being pushed to the other openings of the bog because of the displacement and air bubbles. Pump is rated for 6,300 gallons. I definitely underestimated how big I should’ve made all of my openings in the bottom section of the bog. Only way to fix that is to rebuild the bog plumbing and we’re talking moving a few tons of rock by hand. Not in the mood to do that quite yet as the bog is still working just fine. My vertical pipe extends out past the water line about a foot, I could just cut it down to water level and cap it there which would make me feel a bit better and get rid of the volcano effect since it would be at the water level. There is just to much pressure in there for me to expect the cap on irrigation tubing to not spew water. I can’t fully seal it like you would with PVC piping.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
CE5BC7BA-5931-4548-AD76-6D35FF5F65A8.jpeg

This is what the bog looks like from below and you can see the vertical pipe that was for the clean out snorkel. I didn’t put nearly big enough cuts in the pipe for 6,300 gph to make it out without the volcano effect on the vertical pipe. I really do feel that if I cut the vertical pipe right below the water level line and cap it and lay gravel back on top it will be just fine and I’m ok with some water escaping from that end since I filled in with gravel already. It’s not bad enough of a problem to rebuild the entire bog in my opinion, but I’m open to any other ideas other that rebuilding the plumbing below.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I have some good news for you. my bog is 20x8 and 6 feet deep with aquablocks i am only pushing in the neighborhood of about 6000 gph . I HAVE ONE PUMP, it pushes 12,000 gph that splits off three ways.
1. there is a 2" pipe that branches off the main three inch pipe where it pushes about 3000 gph to two return circulation jets in the main pond.
2. The three inch line then runs up to the bogs where another 2 inch line taps off and feeds a peastone bog with about 3,000 gph.
The 3 inch line then feeds the main bog with about 5000 gph yes the math is short assuming loss of flow due to head pressure.

So the problem is not the holes in the bog but more so too much flow to the bog. The whole idea to a bog is to give the bacteria in the bog a chance to pull nutrients from the water. A bog your size I'm guessing is 4'x4' And i would lean toward 1500 to 2000 gph . So build a second bog , maybe a bio falls or return jets for circulation could be your solution

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The other note i have is your 2" pipe can barely handle 6000 gph your probably wasting energy choking your pump a bit without getting into highpressures a 2" line realy only pushes 5000 gph. That type of pipe also is not the strongest that appears to be kink free and known for having issue with leaking.

Last though is in the plumbing trade they have test plugs where can place it in the end of the pipe you turn a wing nut and the end and it expands and plugs the pipe. but i think if you did that you may blow your pipe

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
The other note i have is your 2" pipe can barely handle 6000 gph your probably wasting energy choking your pump a bit without getting into highpressures a 2" line realy only pushes 5000 gph. That type of pipe also is not the strongest that appears to be kink free and known for having issue with leaking.

Last though is in the plumbing trade they have test plugs where can place it in the end of the pipe you turn a wing nut and the end and it expands and plugs the pipe. but i think if you did that you may blow your pipe
I’ll look into the wing nut idea, but I’m not gonna rush it since the bog really is running just fine with no issues. Just my personal preference to have all the water kept below.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
MAYBE IM MISSING SOMETHING BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR PUSH WAY WAY TOO MUCH THROUGH THE bog ... sorry for caps

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
MAYBE IM MISSING SOMETHING BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR PUSH WAY WAY TOO MUCH THROUGH THE bog ... sorry for caps
thank you @GBBUDD! I should of asked for your assistance before I impulsively filled in my vertical snorkel tube with gravel. Your wing nut recommendation worked perfectly and is what I should’ve done from the start. You aren’t really missing anything as I am pushing a lot of flow through my bog which is what I want (personal choice). The bog may look small, but it’s 7ftx7ftx5ft and there is plenty of space for slow water to settle. My bog already had a ball valve T’d of that I could put less flow through the bog, but I want all flow through the bog.

Quick video of the flow with all water going through the bog 100% now.

Attachments

• B75397B0-2051-49BB-81FB-8933FC09BC9C.jpeg
    B75397B0-2051-49BB-81FB-8933FC09BC9C.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 5E99F3B1-7B5C-4ABF-AA9B-225A387E9B88.jpeg
    5E99F3B1-7B5C-4ABF-AA9B-225A387E9B88.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 10

Ask a Question