Northern Virginia Backyard Koi Pond

Backyard Koi pond designed for planting Virginia Native Plants
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Glad you figured it out. I tried using those Oatey plugs on a 3” PVC line and back pressure when I turned the pump off would always blow it right off no matter how much I tightened it. That’s a totally different use case from what you’re using it for, though. Don’t think you’ll have any issues with it.

Just curious: have you calculated your TDH? Think you said your pump is listed at 6300 GPH, but the flow from your video looks more like 2500-3000.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Glad you figured it out. I tried using those Oatey plugs on a 3” PVC line and back pressure when I turned the pump off would always blow it right off no matter how much I tightened it. That’s a totally different use case from what you’re using it for, though. Don’t think you’ll have any issues with it.

Just curious: have you calculated your TDH? Think you said your pump is listed at 6300 GPH, but the flow from your video looks more like 2500-3000.
I haven’t, but like @GBBUDD said above I’m probabaly restricting my pump with the 2”PVC line. I also need to tighten my fernco in my skimmer where my pump connects to to the PVC line. Might be losing some there as well. I’m also pumping up a slight slope so I’m losing from the head pressure as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We pushed too much water through our bog and the excess pressure and friction broke ( honestly looked like it had melted ) the bog pipe underneath the gravel. The signs it was doing that was a lot of channeling in that area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
We pushed too much water through our bog and the excess pressure and friction broke ( honestly looked like it had melted ) the bog pipe underneath the gravel. The signs it was doing that was a lot of channeling in that area.
What would that look like from above? I don’t see any evidence of any channels being made in the gravel or water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
your video like wombat said it looks like your flow is not 6 k . but it could be that the flow is concentrated to a small area making a thick stream as it drops. That lift looked to be what 4 feet high and 10 feet long. if thats the case your not loosing that much head pressure though if you used 90's in the plumbing those can add up.
you said you had a ball valve on the line are you splitting the line already and have a circulation jet in the pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
your video like wombat said it looks like your flow is not 6 k . but it could be that the flow is concentrated to a small area making a thick stream as it drops. That lift looked to be what 4 feet high and 10 feet long. if thats the case your not loosing that much head pressure though if you used 90's in the plumbing those can add up.
you said you had a ball valve on the line are you splitting the line already and have a circulation jet in the pond?
Might as well do a quick walk through. My setup is pretty straight forward.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOOKS fantastic... if there isn't any current toward the bottom of the pond you may want to consider a aquascape current pump

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
LOOKS fantastic... if there isn't any current toward the bottom of the pond you may want to consider a aquascape current pump
Yeah, that is something I want to do. I Need to start looking into that because the bottom could use some more flow. It’s a smaller pond in regards to length and width then a lot of the big ponds, but mine is deep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah, that is something I want to do. I Need to start looking into that because the bottom could use some more flow. It’s a smaller pond in regards to length and width then a lot of the big ponds, but mine is deep.
With no drain or draw from the bottom , added circulation can help immensely.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
What bog plants does everyone recommend which can thrive in complete shade? My bog gets a lot of shade in the summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Two shade plants that I love to grow in my pond are hostas (perennial) and impatiens (annual). Both do great in shade and love their feet in the water. Choose small varieties of hostas though or they will take over your bog!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I was able to do some pond pump maintenance yesterday with the 50 degree weather. Pond was still cold as all get out and pretty sure my arm went numb messing around with it, but once I got the pump out and took off the protection I was able to clear out some snail shells and a bunch of pine needles that were reducing the flow rate. Compared to the last video I uploaded @combatwombat it was a night and day difference. Now the pump is pushing the 6,300 gallon flow rate.

Ask a Question