Not enough room for the Savio ribbon now

Reaction score
Well, the modification I did to the filterfalls doesn't really leave enough room for all of the savio ribbon I used to have in there. I also used to have several layers of mat style media.

The redesign is 6 inches of open water at the bottom followed by one layer of the least dense matala and then 8 inches of AquaUV filter media = thousands of 1/2 inch X 1/4 in cylinders. The idea is these filter media will do a better job with fines and probably provide a lot more attachment space for beneficials as well.

I originally bought two rolls of the savio ribbon last year. I could divide one bag's worth into two bags and that amount would fit nicely. Or I could replace the blue and grey matala mat filters I still have. Anyone have any thoughts on which would be best?

Second question, the other batch of Savio Ribbon. If I put it in another bag and tossed it into the pond bottom would that also provide a place for beneficials. Or would it just be clutter? Thing is I hate waste.

I think I have sufficient filtration, but like somebody said here at least once, you can't have too much filtration. I don't plan to increase my fish load except to buy one more Koi. But I've always run a lot level of nitrates. wonder if more filtration would take care of that.

Reaction score
well, you have to think of those media as doing two different things. The Springflo ribbon is a bio media, which is where you have your bacteria clinging onto and doing it's think. It's not really a mechanical media.

On the other hand, the mats are both. They will serve to catch some gook and for bacteria to live. So you have to decide what is more important to you. Of course, if you stick the mats in there, you will need to clean them more often.

Is there no room for any of this stuff in your filter barrel?

You could always sell the springflo here on the site. I can't imagine someone wouldn't buy it from you if you listed it for a good price.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would save it there could be a new filter down the line ...

Ask a Question