j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have an alligator head that is tied to a rock w/fishing line and sits under a plant. Had him for years and the Heron just ignored him. Alas the net was my only saving grace. Tie that alligator to a boat or make him his own motor and keep him moving, it might help. Oh boy here I go again :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
........................................................ Tie that alligator to a boat or make him his own motor and keep him moving, it might help. :rolleyes:

You're just pushing my buttons aren't you?:D

What I did find was a cormorant statue with his wings spread to dry that I ordered to put on the bow of the sampan. Don't know if it'll be a heron deterrent, but if I put him on a small ball bearing base so he turns occasionally in a breeze like a weather vane it may work for a while.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Any kind of movement might deter them for awhile. It's just the awhile part that comes into play. They seem to get used to things unless you change it up all the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Beautiful idea. I’m aiming for a smaller pond, but the idea of having a floating island of plants would be great. I’ve got cats and dogs around, so I don’t think I need worry about herons, and not much I can do about any hawks if they decide to nab a fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you cas! It'll be a month or so before I can start concentrating on the sampan. I have a couple of other projects on my bench I need to do first. If I don't, the sampan will absorb all my attention and I won't get anything else done. I'll post an occasional progress report. (I am really antsy to start on it though....:rolleyes:)

LamieB, creating an island is really an easy process. I used some 2" insulation foam from one of the big box stores, cut a hole (or two) so a plastic flower pot or the black baskets that have a ridge around the top can't pass through the hole, a left over piece of pond liner (not really necessary, it just provides a black under-layment,) and a yard or two of burlap. I shaped the foam, cut the holes with a slight angle towards the center/bottom to make the pots fit snugly. Punch a hole through the foam and run a piece of synthetic line a little longer than the depth of your pond, and tie a nail, washer, ring, anything that won't pull back through the hole. This is your anchor line. Lay on the burlap, (may want to staple it in a few places), tie a brick or something to the other end of your anchor line. Fill your baskets/pots with pea gravel, crushed marble, or any relatively fine material that won't dissolve or float away and put in your bog-type plants. Insert these into the holes of your island and have a launching party.
Using the foam there is plenty of reserve flotation and we've set regular annuals in pots on the "deck" of the islands just making sure they were centered so they wouldn't capsize the island and put the soil in the pond.:)

Here's a couple images of our islands. I started out square, then got "creative" and rounded the edges for better esthetics.
IMG_0074.JPG DSC00215.JPG DSC00213.JPG

Hope this helps..............

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you j.w.!
BTW, looking at the first thumbnail, the new "tin" roof I spoke of earlier is visible. Big improvement over the canvas I used to use and the cost of the permanent metal roof will be paid for in three seasons of not buying canvas tarps.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Aw yes I see it and looks great and always nice to save money and manpower not having to keep putting up the tarps.
I like the idea of having something more permanent w/most projects now especially when one gets more aged to perfection :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
JamieB I am so sorry! I mis-spelled your name and can't find the edit button!:(:(

Mods, Is there a limited time that a post can be edited?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's been a while since I've posted any progress on this project, but the weather cooperated yesterday and I was able to do some stripping of old finish on the sampan. Whoever did the previous finish used two different types. The bottom up to the deck was something very brittle (lacquer?) that came off very nicely with a scraper leaving a very clean surface ready for sanding. The upper part didn't lend itself to scraping and I had to resort to a thick liquid remover. This needed to be done outside as the can of "Evil" stuff smelled awful in the shop and yesterday was the first day the weather was warm and dry enough to get it stripped. I also needed to have access to a hose as after using a putty knife to lift the old finish I hosed off the area's just cleaned to neutralize the stripper.

Probably a little unusual for an island/flower pot, but once it's all settled I'm betting there won't be another in the immediate
neighborhood :)

DSC05685.JPGDSC05690.JPGDSC05692.JPG

The boss got several of her annual pots planted. All I have to do is put the wagon under cover if a frost threatens for the next three weeks.

DSC05693.JPG

Although the weather has been less than ideal, the pond and bog are just now beginning to respond to slightly warmer temps and more daylight hours. The photos don't show much improvement, but compared to what it was it's heartening to me to see any sign that things may return.

DSC05695.JPGDSC05696.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The sampan should be taken for a fun trial ride by you in it before you turn it into the plant floater

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The sampan should be taken for a fun trial ride by you in it before you turn it into the plant floater View attachment 120587

Truly, if I did that the sampan may never see the pond :). It would be excellent for poling around in some of our local salt marshes during high tide.
I also suggested putting a furniture finish on it and using it in the house as a coffee table. You know those "looks" you gals learn in "Woman School"? I got one of those! I'm guessing that means "NO!":oops:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love it! I mean, I took Woman School too, so I agree with your wife. It belongs in the pond. But boy is it going to be cool once it's done!

Ask a Question