Ok need some QUICK EMERGENCY HELP!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@poconojoe: did you actually put a magnet to the bottom of the cookware? We have stainless cookware, too, but the bottom is thick and has some sort of ferrous core, so they work great on our induction too.
No, I just assumed since the pots and pans are stainless.
The bottoms are copper, but there could very well be a ferrous coil or core inside.
I'll have to check and report back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm just over here waiting until someone decides that cooking with magnets is bad for your health. I mean, electricity and EMFs and what have you.

Nothing like cooking over an open flame for this home chef!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Emf ?? wait a minute that was the flavor of the day a decade ago you can't go digging into the past and use gained knowledge .....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had to go and look all this up about EMF and induction cooking as I knew nothing about it. Boy this site has a ton of info...........actually way too much! Says not to use metal utensils. I suppose they would suck up the heat like the metal pans do. A whole new way of getting used to cooking. https://apreparedkitchen.com/induction-cooking-safe/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Emf is no joke . When you stand at any appliance. And stick your face right against it. Like looking in the microwave. I spend literally half my life on the power lines. I have had no issues due to emf nor do I know anyone who has. You probably get more emf from ear buds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The only issue I would have is having to buy all new pans and utensils if the ones I already have won't work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
No, I just assumed since the pots and pans are stainless.
The bottoms are copper, but there could very well be a ferrous coil or core inside.
I'll have to check and report back.
Follow up:
No, a magnet does not stick to the bottom of our stainless steel copper bottom Revereware. So there aren't any ferrous metals embedded in there.
That doesn't mean that newer versions don't have it. Our cookware is decades old!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I think you’re thinking of traditional electric glass cooktop. Those are horrible. I’ve had several and now we have an induction. Totally different.

It performs just like gas. Turn it on, almost instantly hot. Turn it off, almost instantly cool. And because of the way the magnets work, only the space directly under the pan gets hot, even if it’s smaller than the burner surface. That also means food that spills on it doesn’t get fried to the glass, so it’s very easy to clean.

Absolutely love it.
Music to my ears! His Honor the Chef has been pining for an induction cooktop for a couple of years, but our rickety old wiring wouldn't support it. But last year we had a new 3-phase electric panel installed so that we could qualify for the solar system buy-in from the electric company. So now we can finally do it!

We've got a gas cooktop at the moment, but even the folks who sold it to us warned us that it's got some health risks, even with good ventilation. I've had incidents of pneumonia in the past, and the doctors always ask whether you're using gas to cook or heat your home, as that can be a factor. But up until recently, gas was the only alternative unless you were really wealthy. Fortunately, that's starting to change.

So, induction, here we come! (Just hope we don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy it!)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So, induction, here we come! (Just hope we don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy it!)
Mine is a slide in sort of top of line, GE induction range. In 2015 it was 4900, I would still buy it again. LOVE it!
We have no natural gas here, we do have a propane tank we buried . We just use for instant on hot water and a ventless heater.

A quick look, here, the GE cook tops are in the 2000 + range.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Music to my ears! His Honor the Chef has been pining for an induction cooktop for a couple of years, but our rickety old wiring wouldn't support it. But last year we had a new 3-phase electric panel installed so that we could qualify for the solar system buy-in from the electric company. So now we can finally do it!

We've got a gas cooktop at the moment, but even the folks who sold it to us warned us that it's got some health risks, even with good ventilation. I've had incidents of pneumonia in the past, and the doctors always ask whether you're using gas to cook or heat your home, as that can be a factor. But up until recently, gas was the only alternative unless you were really wealthy. Fortunately, that's starting to change.

We redid our kitchen earlier this year and went induction. Another vote of confidence. It's great. We did have to regift some older stainless steel cookware that wasn't magnetic. I didn't think cookware made much of a difference but I got a demeyere stainless steel pot on deep sale, and my god that thing is amazing. So well constructed, food doesn't stick to it, heats evenly, tight fitting lid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When we moved here our whole house was electric. We were able to bring gas to the house a few years back and now have gas heat and a gas fireplace. We bought a General whole house generator in Sept 2022 and it's hooked up to our natural gas line.

@addy1 , sounds like you're very pleased with your GE stove. do they still make the model you have? We need to replace our electric stove this year....thought about gas, but running the lines will be additional cost and we don't have venting to the outside in our kitchen.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
demeyere stainless steel pot
oh I love those! utoh one more thing to look for! My one pan, used all the time, is wearing out, non stick. The stainless ones work well, but the pan is way to big, need a smaller one.
@addy1 , sounds like you're very pleased with your GE stove. do they still make the model you have?
Mine is a GE profile, similar to this one. But now a bit cheaper, a camera to see inside, run by a phone app, air fry.............etc lol The controls are different, etc. It appears to have 5-6 heating areas, one of my areas is normal, ie any pan, small just to warm butter etc.

I seldom go above the power range of 4-5, it goes to 9, at 4 it is a hot cook, usually cook in the 3.5 or lower range.

One burner has a option power boil, it heats that water, a huge pot, so fast! I used it all the time to get the water boiling for the bees sugar water.

If mine dies it will be replaced with another induction, most likely GE. No way would I go back to just electric.

Ask a Question