Okay this project started as a dog pool...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Not sure I understand what filter connections are leaking, but my pressurized filter will leak, if the seals are not seated properly.

I have newfoundlands....so love your big black dogs!

I

imbaddakota

omg Adorable!!! but here is the secret to danes, they think they are the same size as your dog, haha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
lol love the dogs and love that you dug a pond just for them. :) Looks great.

I

imbaddakota

Hi all,

Got lots done today! My bf is not as excited as I am so I came here to share my progress!

I got all the seams sealed up and the liner trimmed, I can't fill the pond all the way until it dries, not sure how long that takes, but I can't finish the front spillway until it is. Once it dries, I can level and glue the blocks on either side, add an archway rock over the spillway (which is a $12 dollar plastic cement smoother 24 inches wide), add the pondless basin covered with rock!

IMG_2035.JPG

I still need to add the cap stone to the back side to keep the liner from standing up.

Even though I rinsed the pea gravel well, when I added it to the pond the water got very cloudy, but I hope it will settle overnight.

I moved a lot of rocks today that I have been saving for years to use on this. I have a lot more to put in, but a little at a time since they are heavy.

IMG_2034.JPG

You can't see it in the picture above but I added lights too! I can't wait to see them tonight!

And my two waterfalls are coming along nicely! I have to drill holes in these huge 15 liter glass bottles (which is like 4 gallons?), then the water will pour from them into the pan, which will have a flat rock over the top. I am thinking of shooting the water in the bottle straight up to hit the topside so that the water splashes a lot inside there to catch light and more importantly, to keep it from getting all mucky from condensation, etc.

IMG_2038.JPG

I am really tired! But after I did all this, I made some coffee and grabbed a book and sat in the sun listening to the water and it was all worth it!

Thank you for all the help! I will update this as it comes along!

Dakota

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Here they are!!! Milo and Havoc!!!

View attachment 93699 View attachment 93701

I went and got the adhesive today (Yes, I can feel my pond addiction growing as my wallet shrinks!)

I also hooked up the filter, but I can't get the connections to stop leaking! The gaskets look fine, but hand tightening didn't work, loosening didn't work, and I chewed one up a bit trying the wrench and terrycloth. Loctite didn't help either. Should I add a second gasket?

Thanks!
Dakota

Nice ponies. Where do you keep the saddles?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
the secret to danes, they think they are the same size as your dog
Yes.... my friend had one that thought it was a lap dog.... He would sit on you and his feet would still be on the floor. :)
Love your dogs! And your pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
love the idea of the bottles .My mean pitbull but sad to say he has past away recently .He thought he was a chi. My sister has a greatdane and a mastif and you learn to side step there size to get around in her house

Attachments

• pics on durecell back up 428.JPG
    pics on durecell back up 428.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 198
  • pics on durecell back up 964.JPG
    pics on durecell back up 964.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 209
I

imbaddakota

Dogs are awesome! Ponds are awesome! You guys are awesome!

I'm nervous about drilling holes in the bottles in case I break them, but fingers crossed! No guts no glory!

Here is what the lights looked like (sort of), I put on the amber covers thinking it would look like candlelight, but they were traffic light green! (changing those today), so here it is with a sepia tone on the photo instead, lol.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@imbaddakota I've never drilled in glass, but I've read that if you put tape over the area [both side?] it will help. And a special drill bit.....?

I think the bottle idea is unique and going to be pretty. Can't wait to see how you do it and what it looks like!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have just make sure you have a wet sponge and have someone drip the water on as you drill .It keeps the bit cool and make sure you use the right kind of drill bit .I did mason jar lights and had to drill a hole ,all because i wanted the bottom of the jar where the lid goes open .Would have been easier to drill through the lid but did not like that effect .It was the jelly jars my sister wanted for her porch .She is lucky I love her .Also did wine bottle lights .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9A
Country
United States
Looks awesome Dakota and those dogs are gorgeous!
I'd recommend using a glass and tile bit to drill through the bottles and keep a wet sponge on it like sissy said. Should turn out great and looking forward to updated pics!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I have drilled glass block and mason jars to make lighted decorations and used a glass and tile bit without a problem. Don't try to force it though, let the bit do it's job and be sure to keep the surface and bit wet. Practice on smaller jars to get the hang of it if you haven't worked with glass. If possible, keep the surface under water. I submerged the jars and the blocks in a dishpan of water with about a half inch of water covering the area to be drilled. I would think your bottle could be submerged in a stationary tub of water. Good luck and looking forward to seeing pictures of the water flowing.

Ask a Question