Okay this project started as a dog pool...

I

imbaddakota

HI all, quick update, I have not done the bottles yet, but all the stone is done, sealing done, and the spillway is almost done, lighting is done.

I am so glad I added rocks all over because it is slippery in there! I added a second small pump in the center of the deep part to churn up the water down there because i do not think I am getting enough surface movement or deeper water aeration, Also, I am seeing little translucent squiggly things above the lights near the surface which I assume are mosquito larvae? I am only seeing this in the front two corners which is where the placement of the waterfalls and spillway are pushing floating debris so I guessed that I needed more water movement there?

Thanks!
Dakota

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@snoozer @imbaddakota I thought about this, though it doesn't have anything to do with drilling holes in the jars, but it was pretty cool. Someone posted this on Face Book, and if I can find it, I'll share it. Basically, it was a science lesson-type thing. They placed a glass jar in a container and added water [I'm leaving out details]. They added oil in there somewhere [to the water?]. They heated a knife and put it in the water. The jar was instantly, neatly, and cleanly cut in 2.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
That's pretty cool. Not sure how it would work but i may try it just to see. Glass has a tendancy to run and not follow a score line when cutting it so this looks like a challenge I need to take.

I

imbaddakota

oh man i need to try that, now some would worry about me using a blowtorch, but what's the worst that could happen.....

I

imbaddakota

Hi all, so I haven't gotten much done with the torrential rain we had for the last 3 days, but its been plenty of time for things to go a bit wrong. On the good side, the spillway works really well, but with all the rain, one corner of the wall seems to have sunk an inch or so, guess i will be jacking that back up with more gravel in the spring.

Then I made the mistake of taking 3 of the mollys I had in my fish tank and moving them into the pond to get at some of the mosquito larvae (its been really bad since I put the pond in). Good news, no larve i can find. Bad news, the mollys that have never bred in my tank (that I know of) have been pretty busy in the pond. So 5 went to 10...

Also, the water (which was clear) is a yellowish tea stained color, like when you add new driftwood to an aquarium and it gets all brownish for awhile. Does anyone know if that is normal or do I need to do something?

Thanks! (again)
Dakota

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here they are!!! Milo and Havoc!!!

View attachment 93699 View attachment 93701

I went and got the adhesive today (Yes, I can feel my pond addiction growing as my wallet shrinks!)

I also hooked up the filter, but I can't get the connections to stop leaking! The gaskets look fine, but hand tightening didn't work, loosening didn't work, and I chewed one up a bit trying the wrench and terrycloth. Loctite didn't help either. Should I add a second gasket?

Thanks!
Dakota

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here they are!!! Milo and Havoc!!!

View attachment 93699 View attachment 93701

I went and got the adhesive today (Yes, I can feel my pond addiction growing as my wallet shrinks!)

I also hooked up the filter, but I can't get the connections to stop leaking! The gaskets look fine, but hand tightening didn't work, loosening didn't work, and I chewed one up a bit trying the wrench and terrycloth. Loctite didn't help either. Should I add a second gasket?

Thanks!
Dakota
Hello! Just registered for site and just noticed the dates of the conversation I am interested in. :( I really hope y’all are still active. Dakota I love love your pond/pool project for your dogs! Love their names and so very handsome! Your home looks beautiful and I’m inspired by your creativity with plants and rocks. Unfortunately I live in Orange County, California. My backyard is the size of your pond :) ok a tad bigger and I am actively researching ideas for a water feature for my three dogs. I appreciate your details and ideas of others.

Ask a Question