Old pond, new life. Stuck on the waterfall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wife's dad dug this pond 20 years ago. I can assure you it hasn't been cleaned since. Anyways, I tried last year a bunch of homemade filters on it, to no avail. This year I got fed up, and over the weekend I drained the entire pond. Over a foot of sludge on the bottom was cleaned out, the liner scrubbed, now its usable.

The landscaping around it I started last year (I wish I had a before pic for that one). The point I'm at now is the waterfall. I went to a pond store (the only one within 50 miles), spent 800.00 on a super duty UV-Bio Ball-Media filter, and a waterfall (weir?) that also has a filtering media inside.

How do I hide this monstrosity?????

The ground below it yesterday I built up and leveled out(ish). I guess I want it to look natural. The front of it I put close to the edge because the pond is still not full yet (on a well). I guess that can be moved if needed. I have a little room on each side. The pond place says the (weir?) will hold a rock slab, but I refuse to believe it. What can I build up on the sides and possibly front to make this thing go away?

Sorry in advance for the night time photo-op

IMG_20150507_241325406.jpg IMG_20150507_241336696.jpg IMG_20150507_241347944.jpg IMG_20150507_241411668.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Waterfall does not need to be that high. Countersink it in the ground and build up around the sides with rock. Who is the manufacturer of this biofalls unit. The better manufactured units will support a piece of flagstone to cover the top. The weir also.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Definitely dig it into the ground. It will never look natural if you attempt to build up around it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If possible, like Meyer and tbendl did, I'd be inclined to sink it immediately behind what it's sitting on and have the return water flow across the slab it's on. Algae or moss will cover the slab, and you can place rocks around it to disguise it.

Ask a Question