sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
with fat fantails you can have a lot of them and since they move so slow they are fun to watch wiggle there butts up to you to get food and mine sure love to swim into my hand to get belly rubs .They are just to darn cute .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think @Big Lou should try the fat fantails since sissy says she's never had them breed and if they did they would be easy to give away cuz they are so darn cute!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We love our little fantails. After five years in our pond they are the size of little peaches. They are fun to watch and ours have never had babies. Our comets, on the other hand, breed like bunnies. We've given them "the talk" to no avail!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
There ya go @Big Lou people are saying the fat wiggly butt fantails that come in all kinds of neat colors don't breed in your ponds.
They even come in calico
73600.jpg

Some have nice long tails too.

normal_fantail_goldfish5.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine are gold and white and the other one is black gold and white spotted .They are extremely friendly if hand fed from the beginning .Mine were a dollar at the koi farm because people did not seem to like them .I am sorry I only bought 2 because after that he did not have them any more .And yep i call mine plums because of there fat bodies and they don't seem to be fussy fish .

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 2500 gallon pond. It is stocked with 8 koi ,4 or 5 koi comet hybrid and almost 10 comets. Near 20 ft of fish. Nitrates less then 20,never any ammonia or nitrites. In 10 years only 3 fish lost and I think that was bad food . For a god sakes Lou,don't worry about it!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2500 gallon pond. It is stocked with 8 koi ,4 or 5 koi comet hybrid and almost 10 comets. Near 20 ft of fish. Nitrates less then 20,never any ammonia or nitrites. In 10 years only 3 fish lost and I think that was bad food . For a god sakes Lou,don't worry about it!!!
Ageed smaug, Big Lou my friend dont worry about it ......proud of you bro fish in your pond [at last] , way to go both you and Cathy :happy:

Dave

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
One quality high end koi with a Chinese high band shark.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've been giving serious thought to giving up my koi, maybe I should try fancy tails? I have a neighbor with a 20,000 gallon koi pond. He's willing to take one, or all five of my koi....but I'm struggling terribly. I adore them, but they are so much work in a pond not properly designed for them :(

Where do you get these fancy tails?

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Our pond is equipped with a high quality in pond trash handling pump mated with flushable external filter.

About 13 or so years ago we had koi, pond comets, fan tails and goldfish. Being am an novice fish keeper I'm sure many mistakes were made. We came to love and treasure each and everyone of our fish. Tragically, a few fish came down with large external sores. Within two days most, if not all of our fish, about 40, contracted the disease. I consulted a fish expert who advised us to put them down. We did then cried together. The trauma was overwhelming.

Cathy and I just discussed the matter. Due to numerous valid reasons, primarily upkeep of the fish, we have permanently decided not to stock our pond. We will continue to enjoy its beauty, peacefulness and benefits to the birds and wildlife.

Thanks to everyone. Please accept my sincere apology for unintentionally misleading you and wasting your time.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fancy tails breed like bunnies I have them .I think you mean fat fantails .The fantails have plump bodies the fancy tails have long bodies with long tails

Ask a Question