Opening the Pond

Reaction score
Our pond surface is covered with snow and ice. The ice got to be about 3 or 4 inches thick before the snow came. I had a pond heater that kept a hole open and then 27 inches of snow came and buried the heater. So I unplugged it. Then a few days later we had 12 more inches of snow. With 3 feet of snow I couldn't get to the pond. We couldn't even see an outline of the pond. The pond is about 10 by 20 feet and 18 to 24 inches deep. It will probably be 2 to 3 weeks before the pond will be clear of ice. There were 7 koi and about 15 gold fish. I wonder if the fish will be alive?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Fish are real pretty tough
I bet they make it through the winter

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had the same problem here in southern Md. I was using a 100 watt heater and it got buried under the snow. Luckily I had the 1500 watt heater in the pond but not plugged in. The pond was frozen over for a week before I could get to the heater to plug it in. Everybody is doing well so yours should be fine. What a winter!! 64" of snow so far!

Ask a Question