Our prayers and best Wishes to our friend @yshahar

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
i just noticed water on the right side of the photo out beyond the rock? and you now have a peninsula jogging out that's maturing well done, looks natural
Yep, that log is a branch from our olive tree that fell down in a storm over 20 years ago. It sat around all that time, getting an incredible patina of age, so that it blends in beautifully with the waterworn limestone. That little shallow planting area was a last minute add-on, when I saw how much liner I had left over at that end.

As for the peninsula - if you look very carefully, you can see a dragon nosing about the water lilies. We originally thought we had a Chinese dragon to go with the Asian style pond. But now it's pretty clear that she's a garden variety aquatic stegosaurus. Notice the Canna indica spinal plates and the pineapple tail spikes. Turns out that pineapple makes a pretty good marginal plant!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep, that log is a branch from our olive tree that fell down in a storm over 20 years ago. It sat around all that time, getting an incredible patina of age, so that it blends in beautifully with the waterworn limestone. That little shallow planting area was a last minute add-on, when I saw how much liner I had left over at that end.

And peninsula - if you look very carefully, you can see a dragon nosing about the water lilies. While we originally thought we had a Chinese dragon to go with the Asian style pond. But now it's pretty clear that she's a garden variety aquatic stegosaurus. Notice the Canna spinal plates and the pineapple tail spikes.
Love both those add on very cool. I try to sell everyone on doing that the shallow areas outside what looks like the edge of the pond are my favorite. The mosses, pitcher pl ants , sun dews, definitely separates the men from the boys to use an OLD EXPRESSION.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Thinking of you @YShahar , your family, friends and everyone in Israel. We do support you during these difficult, scary hours for all of you. Stay safe, stay strong.
Thank you so much @Pablo! Well, it was a wild and stormy night, that's for sure. Lots of interceptions all over the place, some of them very, very loud. The fish seem to have come through all right, though one or two of them look a tad dazed. But then, so do the rest of us!

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Another day of hell on earth Hoping our friend @YShahar ,in the east is fairing well.

All well here, though I think there are a lot of folks walking around with their ears ringing from all the percussive diplomacy last night. We spent most of the night comparing notes with our kids over Whatsapp, as they were all sitting in their respective safe places (bomb shelters or just stairwells). It would have been a good night to finish off all the single malt that needs to be out of the house before Pessah (Passover). But alas, I was just a tad too efficient this year, and started the Passover cleaning early, so none of it remained.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All well here, though I think there are a lot of folks walking around with their ears ringing from all the percussive diplomacy last night. We spent most of the night comparing notes with our kids over Whatsapp, as they were all sitting in their respective safe places (bomb shelters or just stairwells). It would have been a good night to finish off all the single malt that needs to be out of the house before Pessah (Passover). But alas, I was just a tad too efficient this year, and started the Passover cleaning early, so none of it remained.
You always amaze me! You keep your spirits up even through all of this turmoil. I heard a kid was hurt from the shrapnel but for the most part not much damage. I am keeping informed reading the Times of Israel news each morning. Hoping Iran just takes a step back and all will be ok for now. Stay safe and will keep you guys in my prayers :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you so much @Pablo! Well, it was a wild and stormy night, that's for sure. Lots of interceptions all over the place, some of them very, very loud. The fish seem to have come through all right, though one or two of them look a tad dazed. But then, so do the rest of us!
Glad to see you are keeping your sense of humor through all this and of course glad you are safe (and the fish, lol). At least the pond brings a little serenity to the craziness around you.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
You always amaze me! You keep your spirits up even through all of this turmoil. I heard a kid was hurt from the shrapnel but for the most part not much damage. I am keeping informed reading the Times of Israel news each morning. Hoping Iran just takes a step back and all will be ok for now. Stay safe and will keep you guys in my prayers :)

Yes, a 7 year-old girl was the only one seriously hurt that I know of. Her name hasn't been announced yet, and all we know so far is that she's from one of the Bedouin areas in the Negev. The Bedouin are fiercely independent Arab tribes, many of whom still live a semi-nomadic lifestyle (though the government keeps trying to get them to move to settled towns). She's got a lot of people praying for her recovery!

Ask a Question