Our prayers and best Wishes to our friend @yshahar

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have to be careful in blaming religions for war. While we like to jump to that conclusion and think things would be easier if there were not these religious differences the reality is that most wars are not religious based. Had this discussion the other day with my daughter and wife because they were saying the same thing about religions causing wars. Reminded them that WW I and WW II were not religious (not ignoring Holocaust of course, but Japan did not attack Pearl Harbor because of religion, Germany did not bomb London because of religion), Korean and Vietnam War, not religion, Russia and Ukraine not religion, I could go on an on. Yes, religion can play a part in some wars. Perhaps a better way to think about it is what would happen if we had no religions to give us a moral compass, kind of a scary thought. We like to assume things could not be worse but they certainly can. I am by no means a devout religious person, remember I am a lawyer so I am already going to H***, lol.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Have to be careful in blaming religions for war. While we like to jump to that conclusion and think things would be easier if there were not these religious differences the reality is that most wars are not religious based. Had this discussion the other day with my daughter and wife because they were saying the same thing about religions causing wars. Reminded them that WW I and WW II were not religious (not ignoring Holocaust of course, but Japan did not attack Pearl Harbor because of religion, Germany did not bomb London because of religion), Korean and Vietnam War, not religion, Russia and Ukraine not religion, I could go on an on. Yes, religion can play a part in some wars. Perhaps a better way to think about it is what would happen if we had no religions to give us a moral compass, kind of a scary thought. We like to assume things could not be worse but they certainly can. I am by no means a devout religious person, remember I am a lawyer so I am already going to H***, lol.
I personally would be lost w/o my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as I consider many are in this world and have nothing to look forward to after they pass. I can't imagine living over there in a land that was and is considered Holy land and seeing so much needless death and destruction by those that think they are doing this all in the name of God! I believe God is looking down w/sadness at all that is happening here in this world of ours now. I will just keep praying. There is enough love in this world for everyone if they will only forget the hatred they have in their hearts for others that don't believe as they do. It is up to each person to choose and be at peace w/their own choices. We are all allowed freedom or at least we all should be to choose what we want in our lives. No one should be forced into anything!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You were getting a Cockeyed eyebrow for a minute there and you are right not all how ever if you add it up millions have died due to religion solely.
The lawyer crack got me lol

Unfortunately most of it is in @yshara neck of the woods.

If anything brings hope peace and happiness to a person and their people I'm all for it . I dont care if you get your jollies from wiggling yourr toes in jelly while singing ba ba black sheep if it harms no one who cares. But when you can't live and let live then I have a problem. When you attack women and children twice as much so. But the second you tell me I have to live in your bubble we got a problem. Like taking the jab.

We in America hear they are mobilizing 300 thousand and death tole is 1200. We if you do the math in America we have 300 million people and we lost 3000 on 911. In comparison by population Israel would have lost 30000 thus far by population.
I'd like to see Gaza secure there own area but they have not had a legitimate vote in 15 years. And even then sometimes the vote can be preposterous.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You were getting a Cockeyed eyebrow for a minute there and you are right not all how ever if you add it up millions have died due to religion solely.
The lawyer crack got me lol

Unfortunately most of it is in @yshara neck of the woods.

If anything brings hope peace and happiness to a person and their people I'm all for it . I dont care if you get your jollies from wiggling yourr toes in jelly while singing ba ba black sheep if it harms no one who cares. But when you can't live and let live then I have a problem. When you attack women and children twice as much so. But the second you tell me I have to live in your bubble we got a problem. Like taking the jab.

We in America hear they are mobilizing 300 thousand and death tole is 1200. We if you do the math in America we have 300 million people and we lost 3000 on 911. In comparison by population Israel would have lost 30000 thus far by population.
I'd like to see Gaza secure there own area but they have not had a legitimate vote in 15 years. And even then sometimes the vote can be preposterous.
Yep @j.w will have to work overtime with her prayers on me, lol.
I was nervous posting because getting into religion and politics can be a quagmire and why I dont do social media.

Back to the topic I think we can all be glad that @YShahar has an oasis in their backyard to bring some calm and peace in these times. We can all probably relate that looking at our ponds can be a great stress reliever and we can all be happy that we help each other out in bringing that peace to people's backyards.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know where she is and it is enough for me to send a few prayers and best wishes her way. Not to ignore Ukraine they have as equal a mess as Israel does. But i don't know anyone there but i enjoyed @YShahar

i wish this was the only battles i got to see today

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Shalom Y'all,

A brief update. We're all fine, though there's still a sense of mourning and shock. On the other hand, the entire country has drawn together in ways I haven't seen in years. Two weeks ago, we had hundreds of thousands demonstrating every Saturday night against our (admittedly inept) government's attempt to weaken the judiciary. Now, the leaders of the protest movement are among those coordinating supplies to soldiers and civilians alike. Calls have gone out to find places to host hundreds of thousands of people who've had to evacuate border towns. Most of those displaced found families willing to host them within an hour. Hotels have turned over all their rooms to evacuees, and every town in Israel has collected food, clothing, and other necessities for those who had to leave their homes quickly.

There's also the usual dark humor that keeps everyone going at a time like this.

Back to the topic I think we can all be glad that @YShahar has an oasis in their backyard to bring some calm and peace in these times. We can all probably relate that looking at our ponds can be a great stress reliever and we can all be happy that we help each other out in bringing that peace to people's backyards.

How very right you are! The pond has been the best therapy I could wish for (save for peace breaking out - which isn't likely to happen). But the pond actually set up a stressful, and downright comical, situation for me late last night. To set the scene: I've got my main flex pipe going straight to the stream head, where it pours into a pocket of the liner and creates an upper pool. Eventually, this pool will be right under the cascade coming out of the bog. But for now, there's just the pipe spewing water against the fold in the liner. Got the picture? Good!

So on this night in the middle of a war, with planes flying overhead completely blacked out, and distant rumblings of artillery, I was sitting at my upstairs window listening to the peaceful sound of the waterfall, punctuated occasionally by the distant thud of rocket interceptions. The time was 1:30 am. Suddenly I noticed a change in the sound of the water. It sounded as if water was splashing somewhere other than in the upper pool.

"Oh great", I thought to myself, "I bet we've had another porcupine incursion." I remembered that we'd left the porcupine barrier down while working on the bog on Friday, and likely enough, a porcupine drinking from the stream had dug the pipe out from where it was supposed to go. My worry was that if the pipe had been shifted too much, it could be spewing water out of the stream altogether, which would eventually empty the pond (at least down to bottom of the intake bay weir). So there was nothing for it but to go out into the night and see what was happening.

And so it came to pass that at 1:32 am, trying not to wake up His Honor the Chef, I slip downstairs and very quietly open the padlock to the bars enclosing the sliding porch door. And, good citizen that I am, I'm fully weaponed up, as directed by the Homefront Command. As I set foot on the garden path, I realize that if HHTC happened to hear the lock downstairs, he may have woken up rather alarmed. And if he hears my feet crunching on the gravel path, he's going to think there's an intruder. So I go into stealth mode. At this point I can't help but laugh because I realize that now, anyone looking out the upstairs window is going to see someone all weaponed up, sneaking around beneath the trees trying not to make noise.

Well, in the end, I got up to the stream, found that the pipe had not in fact shifted, but I added some rocks around it, just in case. As I crept stealthily back down the garden path, I congratulated myself for not causing a friendly fire incident in my back yard.

It was at that point that my foot landed on a giant ground snail. "Snap!" The shell collapsing sounded like a .22 going off at close range! So much for stealth. I quickly got the bars locked up again, closed the door, and made my way upstairs, taking pains to talk loudly to the cat on the stair landing, just in case HHTC was now crouched by the door in anticipation of a Hamas invasion.

Turns out he'd slept soundly through the whole operation. So yeah, ponds can be great therapy... so long as they're used only as directed!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad to hear your doing ok!
I can some how see that picture very clearly, granny going out packing hey shinny new pink pearl handled Mossberg. complete with ten clips on her gun belt, curlers in the hair wearing a floral night gown with fuzzy slippers. All while walking like a puma across the grotto....
" I know this depiction wasn't yourself but more a cross of my grandmother and yourself"
Stay safe @YShahar

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Meanwhile, here's tonight's sunset...
IMG_7056.jpeg

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Glad to hear your doing ok!
I can some how see that picture very clearly, granny going out packing hey shinny new pink pearl handled Mossberg. complete with ten clips on her gun belt, curlers in the hair wearing a floral night gown with fuzzy slippers. All while walking like a puma across the grotto....
" I know this depiction wasn't yourself but more a cross of my grandmother and yourself"
Stay safe @YShahar

Ha! I love that!

But no, sadly it's more like granny dressed in her old jogging pants and Japanese gardening shoes, packing her rather drab (but very chic) new Mossberg.

And have I mentioned that stepping on giant garden snails is rather gross...

Just had some rocket interceptions over Tel-Aviv. Windows rattling. Nothing here in a while.

By the way, @GBBUDD your government is giving us the most heart-warming airshow I've seen in a while. We're right under the flightpath. Not hard to figure out what's in some of those big military cargo planes...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have worked in military bases and have seen the planes your referring to . i pray you never see b 52's over head for that would lead to ww3. the super galaxies are insane how big they are, it's like if it slowed down 5 mph is would crash its crazy how slow they look like they are going

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@YShahar It is good to see you here again and finding some humor in your rather depressing situation. I hope our military will continue to help your country to get to seeing better days. So hard to imagine what you all are going through other then what they show us on the news. We over here have it soft pretty much so far and we are all trying to be able to keep our guns if we want them. One never knows when they will need them w/all that is going on in this world. Happy us here on this forum all have our ponds to go out and sit by and relax and forget somewhat about all the bad things happening. Harder to do lately but it helps :)

IMG_0878.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@YShahar It is good to see you here again and finding some humor in your rather depressing situation. I hope our military will continue to help your country to get to seeing better days. So hard to imagine what you all are going through other then what they show us on the news. We over here have it soft pretty much so far and we are all trying to be able to keep our guns if we want them. One never knows when they will need them w/all that is going on in this world. Happy us here on this forum all have our ponds to go out and sit by and relax and forget somewhat about all the bad things happening. Harder to do lately but it helps :)

View attachment 160862
With our open border and we are providing FREEE TRANSPORTATION to where ever they want to go , unvetted mostly military age men . I'm afraid I'm going to get very busy in the power grid rebuild, but just to let everyone know take out certain pieces of the pie and it will take months on months to restore.
We are way to busy fighting among our selves TOTALY POINTLESS BS

I DO HATE WHEN I FORGET TO PRESS POST

Ask a Question