Our Two latest additions to our pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm confused :( Both fish are very pretty but looks kinda the same to me - whitish belly, red top with black marking.. I'm too simple minded...

They are beautiful. I would love to see them swim :)
Nepen go to the top of this thread and look to the link which should explain it all to you :D
Once you get used to the terminology it isnt that hard to follow things(y)

Dave ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Dave that is so nice of your friend to become God Fish Father to your 3 babies

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The first one is a white metallic Koi with red/orange pattern. The scales have the matsuba (pinecone effect)with a nice clean head .if the pattern is on the head there should be no black markings just the red/orange color.

The second picture is a 'scale-less five color Koi red, white, black, blue and purple .

oh my brain... ;)

What is scale-less means?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The first one is a white metallic Koi with red/orange pattern. The scales have the matsuba (pinecone effect)with a nice clean head .if the pattern is on the head there should be no black markings just the red/orange color.

The second picture is a 'scale-less five color Koi red, white, black, blue and purple .

oh my brain... ;)

What is scale-less means?

Your right on the first one Nepen but the second description is wrong , if you look down its flanks you'll see it has large scales making it a doitsu , amongst the doitsu you can also get scaleless koi making them leather or smoth skinned but they are still of the Doitsu classification my friend

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
oh :) I just took the description right out of the link you gave me ;)

Doitsu = German scale-less or mirror carp. It didnt say it included leather or smooth skinned too or that large scale is included.. is Mirror - a large scale?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
oh :) I just took the description right out of the link you gave me ;)

Doitsu = German scale-less or mirror carp. It didnt say it included leather or smooth skinned too or that large scale is included.. is Mirror - a large scale?
The Mirror carp was the original koi that the Germans gifted to the Japanese in the early part of the last century it is from these beginings that the doitsu comes from but here is where it gets confusing if you get any of the twelve classes that are of doitsu origin then you prefix the classification with doitsu :confused:
Doitsu Sanke , Doitsu Showa, Doitsu Tancho doitsu Bekko etc
However say if the tancho has black markings along its back after the round red marking that is also a doitsu then it would become a Doitsu Tancho Sanke and so on "Confused" ? :confused: :( :LOL:
Doitsu is basically how the Japanese tried to pronouce the Gernans other title for their country Deutschland (y).
Hope this all helps :cool:

Dave;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
haha Dave, thanks great. Love the history background :) Now the Doitsu makes sense ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx DrChase I have a great respect for your eye and we are glad you like them both ;)
Dnt blame me :LOL: ..... didnt I tell you it got a bit complicated Nephen :LOL: however at least you know their origins now :cool:

Ask a Question