Outdoor pond

DK910

6burg
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a/b
Country
United States
We run our pumps all the time but we also add water as needed and make adjustments to fountains in high winds and such. It’s a personal decision of how often to run it. Moving and oxygenated water is healthier water for fish and plants, and less desirable for mosquitoes ;) I’m a rookie too ;) we’re all at different points of learning as we go and it’s great to be able to share and troubleshoot with one another ;) have a great day! ❤️

Ps also watch the flow of your waterfall… sometimes a little can run off away from your pond and even if it’s just a small amount, over time it adds up! ;)
Thanks I appreciate your understanding ☺️ I have already killed 3 koi (bad batch I hope ;)) I don’t want it to happen again! I check my water often and only add pre-treated or distilled

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks I appreciate your understanding ☺️ I have already killed 3 koi (bad batch I hope ;)) I don’t want it to happen again! I check my water often and only add pre-treated or distilled
Wait, are you keeping koi in a 200 gallon pond? That size is more suited to goldfish. When you say you “check your water often,“ what are you using to test, and what are the actual results of the water tests? I know you were originally posting about a possible water leak, so I’m not trying to hijack your thread, but if you are losing fish, it’s not due to a water leak.

DK910

6burg
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a/b
Country
United States
Wait, are you keeping koi in a 200 gallon pond? That size is more suited to goldfish. When you say you “check your water often,“ what are you using to test, and what are the actual results of the water tests? I know you were originally posting about a possible water leak, so I’m not trying to hijack your thread, but if you are losing fish, it’s not due to a water leak.
I have 2/2inch koi. I use a testing kit from petsmart. All of my results have been great :)

DK910

6burg
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a/b
Country
United States
I have 2/2inch koi. I use a testing kit from petsmart. All of my results have been great :)
I also lost fish (3 :() due to unknown circumstances ☺️…after that I did a total reset of my pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

Some water loss IS normal... it's just a matter of degree. In a tiny pond like yours, even a small amount can be significant. If you've eliminated leaks in the pond proper and in the plumbing, then you may just be losing to evaporation and splashing.

Just how much would you estimate you're losing?

DK910

6burg
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a/b
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF!

Some water loss IS normal... it's just a matter of degree. In a tiny pond like yours, even a small amount can be significant. If you've eliminated leaks in the pond proper and in the plumbing, then you may just be losing to evaporation and splashing.

Just how much would you estimate you're losing?
Not nothing significant..I have lowered my spillway thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If you are in fact losing water due to a leak and not from evaporation, an awful lot of leaks are from around waterfalls or the plumbing feeding them.
But, from what it sounds like, your problem may just be evaporation.

As others have stated, smaller ponds are affected quicker when it comes to evaporation. The same goes for keeping water quality. The small ponds are harder to keep for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As @mrsclem stated, koi can get get quite large very quickly.
They will outgrow that 200 gallon pond very quickly. They will hardly be able to swim or turn around in such a small space.
I have koi that are longer than my arm with huge girth. If I had to do it all over, I would only have shubunkin and goldfish.

But that's not the biggest problem. Koi produce a huge amount of waste which will task your filtration. Before you know it, you'll be asking why your water is so green. It will be due to nature providing algae to combat the excess nutrients that are a result of fish waste.

I don't like telling you this, but it's a fact.

You'll probably be ok for maybe a couple of seasons, but there will eventually be a tipping point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Looks like the water maybe following back under the spill stone and over the edge of your little pond. As others have said, koi grow large very quickly and your little pond won't be able to support them and they will die. Rehome your koi and get a couple shubunkins which are beautiful. My first pond was 200 gallons and i had 4 goldfish which did fine but I battled green water for two years. I finally gave up on the little pond and my son and I built my current pond.

Ask a Question