Outdoor pond

DK910

6burg
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a/b
Country
United States
As @mrsclem stated, koi can get get quite large very quickly.
They will outgrow that 200 gallon pond very quickly. They will hardly be able to swim or turn around in such a small space.
I have koi that are longer than my arm with huge girth. If I had to do it all over, I would only have shubunkin and goldfish.

But that's not the biggest problem. Koi produce a huge amount of waste which will task your filtration. Before you know it, you'll be asking why your water is so green. It will be due to nature providing algae to combat the excess nutrients that are a result of fish waste.

I don't like telling you this, but it's a fact.

You'll probably be ok for maybe a couple of seasons, but there will eventually be a tipping point.
I’m trying to buy/do the necessary things to keep it clean ..clean filter, siphon the bottom, a few big rocks, no over feeding, hyacinths, etc. I can see them outgrowing my limited space. When that happens, I have a friend who has a 6k who will welcome them as a grab 2 more and start the process again. My space is very limited..thus the small pond. Thanks for all your tips!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
before you go ripping things apart you could cover the waterfall with plastic and see if that makes a deference

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Response to a past post you had moved on

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I’m trying to buy/do the necessary things to keep it clean ..clean filter, siphon the bottom, a few big rocks, no over feeding, hyacinths, etc. I can see them outgrowing my limited space. When that happens, I have a friend who has a 6k who will welcome them as a grab 2 more and start the process again. My space is very limited..thus the small pond. Thanks for all your tips!!
Instead of stressing additional koi by having them live in your small pond then catching and transporting them to your friend's pond, why not just get shubunkins?
Shubunkin are beautiful fish and don't grow anywhere nearly as large as koi. They have long flowing fins and are quite colorful.
Believe me, you will enjoy shubunkin.

DK910

6burg
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a/b
Country
United States
Instead of stressing additional koi by having them live in your small pond then catching and transporting them to your friend's pond, why not just get shubunkins?
Shubunkin are beautiful fish and don't grow anywhere nearly as large as koi. They have long flowing fins and are quite colorful.
Believe me, you will enjoy shubunkin.
Sounds like a plan!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wind and sun will vaporate water . outside source like some one sapraying weed killer on a windy day will carry at least a mile . i know they soray the power towers over a mile from my house with a weed killer and it kills everything around the area for at least a half mile , even trees

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know the weed kier your referring to it does the job for sure

Ask a Question