What to put in my outdoors pond?

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
These are my two repurposed pools that are now fish ponds.
1,760 gallons each side.
They have filters of my own design and have been running for about a year.
One side had a Giant Jaguar cichlid and the other side had 34 small Midas cichlids that were born in there.
Long story short...All fishes have new homes and I find myself wanting to put something different in there.
It's actually 2 separate, independant pools even though it looks like one.
I live in south Florida.
The high Temperatures in Summer are upper 90s and the lowest temperatures in Winter are upper 40s although mid to upper 50s is more common.
I was wanting to place a few Beta fishes in there and let them multiply. But I think the winters might be too harsh. I've kept them before in a small 180 gallon pre formed pond. But not during the winter.
I'm also thinking fancy guppies or maybe Platties or Swordtails?
I already have a Goldfish/Koi pond. I don't want any more of them.
The pools are predator proof. They have lids to let in light. But not a lot. They are made out of wood and have a mesh covering. So small fish would be 100% safe.
Any recommendations?
Also, how can I safely heat such a strange, outdoor pond?

Attachments

• 20190424_145948.jpg
    20190424_145948.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20190429_131136.jpg
    20190429_131136.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 20190505_074859.jpg
    20190505_074859.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That’s very nice, but what is your goal? Are you wanting to keep fish as pets, or are you wanting to raise fish to sell?

Whatever fish you decide on, it’s important to have an environment that the particular fish will feel safe and thrive in. That means doing research.

Water temperature is what you need to be monitoring. And why would you need to heat these ponds, well unless you are keeping tropical fish? You first need to get a thermometer and keep track of your water temperature. I’m no expert, but that metal siding seems like it would heat the water up, then you’ll be wanting to cool it.

The filter is one of your own design. Most of us have a DIY filter (of some sort). How much water moves through the filter and what kind of media do you have? Some fish produce tons of waste, and some not so much. Your pump and filter should be able to accommodate them.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
That’s very nice, but what is your goal? Are you wanting to keep fish as pets, or are you wanting to raise fish to sell?

Whatever fish you decide on, it’s important to have an environment that the particular fish will feel safe and thrive in. That means doing research.

Water temperature is what you need to be monitoring. And why would you need to heat these ponds, well unless you are keeping tropical fish? You first need to get a thermometer and keep track of your water temperature. I’m no expert, but that metal siding seems like it would heat the water up, then you’ll be wanting to cool it.

The filter is one of your own design. Most of us have a DIY filter (of some sort). How much water moves through the filter and what kind of media do you have? Some fish produce tons of waste, and some not so much. Your pump and filter should be able to accommodate them.
Itll be fish for me, personally.
Each filter is powered by a 1000gph pump. A spray bar and a mixture of filter media. Since they were adequate for a 4 pound Jaguar cichlid and more than 30 4" Midas cichlids, I have no doubt that they'd be adequate for some tropical livebearers.
The water returns out of the filters are gravity fed. 4 each with one additional "overflow"outlet higher up that has never been needed.
The return pipes are angled to circulate the surface of the water and it does move in a slow, clockwise motion.
One return points straight downward and dumps water and air about a foot down into the pond.
Each side also has a single solar powered aerator.
None of the metal panels are touching the pool or even the frame. They're there to stop UV from degrading the plastic pools.
The water is an almost constant 84 degrees.
Same as my in ground Koi pond. And that is inside my back patio.
My main concern IS actually our mild winters.
I lost several hundred Midas fry last winter. In fact the 34 that I just rehomed were survivors of that. It never got below 54.
I'd love to stick a bunch of potted plants and lillies in there and make a Beta oasis.
But I know they're also going to die in 54° water

Attachments

• 20200818_105530.jpg
    20200818_105530.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200804_152901.jpg
    20200804_152901.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 65
  • 20190713_142642.jpg
    20190713_142642.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 68

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Variatus platies are supposed to me more cold tolerant. Could you rig up a cold frame or plastic green house for the colder periods? Would go a long way towards mitigating the temps.

Ask a Question