Overwintering 125 gal. 18 " Deep in zone 5b

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I weanied out. The result..i spent a lot more money and relocated Sanke and Sky to the heated garage for the winter. Glad I did, they looked horrible! They were all zombie like and so pale. I felt so guilty the moment I saw them but they're looking more themselves everyday. I really have doubts they would have made it in my little shallow pond.

Here they are in their bare tank at the moment. It's 110 gallons, I'm running two double sponge filters with bio media, one giant single sponge filter and a double bubbler. Hoping it's is enough filtration. The two sponges with bio media were fully cycled and stolen from my culture tank. Really wanted lots of filtration since I don't have all the beneficial bacteria from the pond and plants to help balance the water chemistry.

Tank won't be bare for long. I have some plants coming and I came up with this idea of using stackable flower pots as a really fun high-rise planted fish cave. Anyone have advice on fish safe adhesive for polypropylene? So far aquarium epoxy looks like my best bet .
remember; your plants are going to need light to survive.

smile-alt1-merged-layers3.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am on it!
get the lights as close as you can without any splash/spray hitting them (and be careful around water and electricity!) simply because the useable lumens are closer than you think. If you know the type bulb (and size), you can look that stat up. For my plants, I keep them 4" or so above, with having to segregate the small ones altogether and the large ones in a row behind.

Looking good, though!

smilie-masked-both-directions2.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
get the lights as close as you can without any splash/spray hitting them (and be careful around water and electricity!) simply because the useable lumens are closer than you think. If you know the type bulb (and size), you can look that stat up. For my plants, I keep them 4" or so above, with having to segregate the small ones altogether and the large ones in a row behind.

Looking good, though!

View attachment 144533
Lol the triple head light in the attached picture in the last post. Does that look good enough? Its full spectrum LED

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lol the triple head light in the attached picture in the last post. Does that look good enough? Its full spectrum LED
on first blush, seems they could go lower, but your plants will tell you; if yellowing, good sign there's not enough light intensity! Too, depends on the species. I overwinter water lettuce and they don't need that much light. The water hyacinths do but they never do that well no matter how good I have the lighting! Got a whole aquarium right now of 'dying' water hyacinths! Am hoping at least a couple survive but I'd not put any money on it. Good thing they're cheap!

smt2b.gif

Ask a Question