Overwintering 125 gal. 18 " Deep in zone 5b

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you use framing or just drape the plastic? I was thinking maybe PVC for a frame to keep the plastic from drooping with snow along with a deicer and pond breather. Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Having problems finding a pond breather for reasonable prices. $89 was the lowest I've found. Any suggestions where to look?
The pond breathers have been discontinued. If you find one,snatch it up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you use framing or just drape the plastic? I was thinking maybe PVC for a frame to keep the plastic from drooping with snow along with a deicer and pond breather. Does that sound like a reasonable plan? Having problems finding a pond breather for reasonable prices. $89 was the lowest I've found. Any suggestions where to look?
I use wood but my pond is a lot larger than yours and I need the structural integrity. Before my expansion, I used 1" steel tube and made a tent. You can use pvc, too. Just realize pvc and regular big box store plastic sheeting is not UV proof and you won't get as much longevity as you would with agro plastic and steel. You CAN also paint the pvc tubing to give you UV resistance.

Even if you do a tent/hoop house, it's important to get the plastic taut so the snow when it melts will slide off. And keep the distances between hoops/frame struts to 2'. I used 4' with my first tent and had a lot of bowing/holding melted water. You can make the plastic taut by putting sand bags or cinder blocks on the outside edges after you erect your tent/hoop.

And as addy chimed; take your polarized sunglasses and hold them in front of your camera/phone and the glare will melt away!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use wood but my pond is a lot larger than yours and I need the structural integrity. Before my expansion, I used 1" steel tube and made a tent. You can use pvc, too. Just realize pvc and regular big box store plastic sheeting is not UV proof and you won't get as much longevity as you would with agro plastic and steel. You CAN also paint the pvc tubing to give you UV resistance.

Even if you do a tent/hoop house, it's important to get the plastic taut so the snow when it melts will slide off. And keep the distances between hoops/frame struts to 2'. I used 4' with my first tent and had a lot of bowing/holding melted water. You can make the plastic taut by putting sand bags or cinder blocks on the outside edges after you erect your tent/hoop.

And as addy chimed; take your polarized sunglasses and hold them in front of your camera/phone and the glare will melt away!
Were the breathers discontinued because they were faulty on anyway?
Where can I find this argo plastic? I googled it but no luck.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A simple plastic tent over the pond in the shape of a tee-pee with a pond breather in the water should keep the pond from freezing over some surface movement in the pond will help as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
sorry; should be agro, as in agricultural. You can get it from greenhouse supply companies. I use 6 mil and it's UV resistant. I think it's an 8 year (10 yr?) warranty.

Not sure why the pond breathers were discontinued but they work great.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any plastic that i would look at using would be reinforced with a girid within the plastic holds up to rains sun and ice all the while being reasonable

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure why they were discontinued but don't think there was an issue. We have a lot of people who use them with no problems. I have them for both my ponds.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 of those I used to use in my ponds. They work great- especially at raising the electric bill! 1500w is overkill unless you are in an area with extreme cold. There are a lot of other pond deicers with lower wattage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used this pond heater in a plastic pond for 5 years and it worked great. Price is much higher now but well worth it if you can find one. It is a little late to be looking for this stuff but you might try one of the auction sites.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used a similar heater in my 700 gal pond last year, but it's the floating type. I'm sure it's overkill for my situation, but I didn't run it continuously; only in extremely cold conditions when the waterfall looked like it might be in danger of freezing up. I live in Massachusetts and we probably had only a handful of really cold stretches last year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used this pond heater in a plastic pond for 5 years and it worked great. Price is much higher now but well worth it if you can find one. It is a little late to be looking for this stuff but you might try one of the auction sites.

When should I start stalking up on winterizing supplies usually? Is there a time of year they go on sale?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used a similar heater in my 700 gal pond last year, but it's the floating type. I'm sure it's overkill for my situation, but I didn't run it continuously; only in extremely cold conditions when the waterfall looked like it might be in danger of freezing up. I live in Massachusetts and we probably had only a handful of really cold stretches last year.
I found several stalk heaters. My concern is no shroud to protect the fish. Farm innovators makes a submersible deicer with grid shroud to protect the fish but my shubies are only 4-5" and it looks as though they could swim to the element or possibly get stuck.

Ask a Question