Overwintering 125 gal. 18 " Deep in zone 5b

Reaction score
Country
United States
When should I start stalking up on winterizing supplies usually? Is there a time of year they go on sale?
Best to get equipment for the fall/winter early in the summer. Look for sales on winter equipment in the spring.
I found this on Amazon. I know it's an aquarium heater but it has a controller that has a thermostatic control that you can set as low as the 30 Fahrenheit. There are a few comments in the reviews about using it in ponds. Comes with a shroud.
Finnex Digital Heater Controller with Deluxe Titanium Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036UTSM...abc_H6C678YQHZB8RQ4ZWH0B?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Absolutely no. It made for indoor use only. I just read the manufacturer's product description and it does say outdoor use but personally, I wouldn't do it. I doubt the controller is completely waterproof and could present a real safety hazard. It is not designed to continuously run (which it will do so outdoors even at the lowest setting) and the heating element is not 'caged' and could easily melt through your plastic pond. Yes, you could make a protective shield to prevent this but it still does not resolve the first two issues which are major 'show stoppers' in my opinion. You are best to purchase a heater or breather specifically made for plastic garden ponds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
In your first picture I see a wooden structure which looks like a deck. I would attach 2x4's fanning out sitting on end (not flat), to that deck. Extend them out with the other end pitched down to the ground.
This will give you a strong frame to support either plain plastic or maybe bubble wrap or pool solar cover material.

A pond deicer should help, especially with the plastic cover. They have a built in thermostat. You can get a 300 watt unit that floats.

One thing that wasn't mentioned... your pond needs an opening in the ice for gas exchange. You don't want your fish under the ice without that for too long. It can become toxic for them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are best to purchase a heater or breather specifically made for plastic garden ponds.
I can't find a breather anywhere. Been searching the internet for days. Everything is out of stalk. I think pond breathers are becoming a non-option for people.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
My pond is about 16’x6.5’ but only 18” at shallowest and 24” at deepest spot. I’m in zone 5b and I’ve always brought my goldfish fish in for winter but this year I’m going to try leaving them out I’ve bought this thermo-pond 3.0 from K&H pet products on Amazon. Since I haven’t tried it yet I can’t say how well it will work but it’s an option. I don’t know if my pond freezes right to the bottom or not but I had 3 goldfish that got missed last year when I was bringing the rest in and they didn’t survive the winter. I really hoping it was just the lack of an open spot for gas exchange.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've built a greenhouse around mine with pvc and greenhouse plastic. I have two deicers one rated for my pond size and one rated for a much higher wattage. I also bought straw bales to surround the pond as a wind break. Fingers crossed.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've built a greenhouse around mine with pvc and greenhouse plastic. I have two deicers one rated for my pond size and one rated for a much higher wattage. I also bought straw bales to surround the pond as a wind break. Fingers crossed.
Keep us posted!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Another tip would be to get a couple bales of straw and pull the bales appart and shake them around the pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am getting really nervous about leaving my shubies in my shallow pond. My gut says it's going to be a bad winter. I have two 20 gallon tubs now that are meant as hospital tanks and 4 cycled double sponge filters with media. I am considering puting the fish in their hospital tanks in the guest bath tub for the winter.

Do you think this is a better idea then trying to overwinter them in my 18" pond?

How would I warm them slowly enough? The pond temp is it 51.7 today?

With cycled filter available would that be an instant cycle or would that take a few days?

How bad would it stress my shubies to be separated for the winter?

I need hard core honest advice about this. Last time I tried to keep a fish indoors (a beta in college) I killed it within a month. I know a lot more now but the smaller tanks make me nervous about big shifts in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have large temperature shifts inside your home? If not, the water will be fine.

Since you have cycled.filters, there is no reason the tanks would go through a cycle. That's already done.

I don't see a problem with bringing them inside. It would be nice if you could put them all in something larger, even a water trough.

Tractor Supply sells many different sizes. I've used the 100 and 150 gallon ones for years. If you have room, one of those would be ideal in my opinion. One of those would probably fit in your bathtub.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Should have said that as long as you are keeping those cycled filters in the right conditions, the bacteria in them will be fine. They need aerated water, temperatures above freezing, and food (ammonia).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you have large temperature shifts inside your home? If not, the water will be fine.

Since you have cycled.filters, there is no reason the tanks would go through a cycle. That's already done.

I don't see a problem with bringing them inside. It would be nice if you could put them all in something larger, even a water trough.

Tractor Supply sells many different sizes. I've used the 100 and 150 gallon ones for years. If you have room, one of those would be ideal in my opinion. One of those would probably fit in your bathtub.
There's only two of them. They're 4-5" inches they would each have 20 gallons to themselves. The only available space I have is the guest bathtub. I feel urgency to move them soon. The water is down to 47.5 F this morning. I will look for something at tractor supply that is bigger but it would need to fit in the bathtub which might make it tricky to find. I've found 40 gallons online but I am not sure if the plastic would be safe. The 20 gallons i have now are food safe so I know their good to use but that info isn't included often. Is there some other descriptor I can look for like PTF free? Do you think they'd be ok in the 20 gallons for now till I find some? I feel like I need to move them now if i am gonna because of them stress of warming them up slowly

Reaction score
Country
United States
Should have said that as long as you are keeping those cycled filters in the right conditions, the bacteria in them will be fine. They need aerated water, temperatures above freezing, and food (ammonia).
I keep the filter running in the 20 gallon tank i use to cultivate live food for my goldies. I haven't checked the water parameters in a while but as of a couple months ago they were great. I am currently dosing the tank with general cure to try and ensure the population of pond snails and duck weed I am growing are as parasite free for my fish as possible. However the manufacturer claims the product doesn't hurt beneficial bacteria. I will test the parameters of the tank if I attempt to set up the fish for transfer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I weanied out. The result..i spent a lot more money and relocated Sanke and Sky to the heated garage for the winter. Glad I did, they looked horrible! They were all zombie like and so pale. I felt so guilty the moment I saw them but they're looking more themselves everyday. I really have doubts they would have made it in my little shallow pond.

Here they are in their bare tank at the moment. It's 110 gallons, I'm running two double sponge filters with bio media, one giant single sponge filter and a double bubbler. Hoping it's is enough filtration. The two sponges with bio media were fully cycled and stolen from my culture tank. Really wanted lots of filtration since I don't have all the beneficial bacteria from the pond and plants to help balance the water chemistry.

Tank won't be bare for long. I have some plants coming and I came up with this idea of using stackable flower pots as a really fun high-rise planted fish cave. Anyone have advice on fish safe adhesive for polypropylene? So far aquarium epoxy looks like my best bet .

Attachments

• 20211118_185146_HDR.jpg
    20211118_185146_HDR.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 28

Ask a Question