Owl babies!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We suspected we had a resident family of barred owls. We got confirmation last night! We had seen adults frequently in the daytime. I saw a pair together. And now this: BABIES! They are so cute and very funny. Much like the hawk babies we had a year or so ago, raptor babies are pretty entertaining. They look so regal -- like real predators -- but they act so goofy! Later in the evening, Mom left the kids alone in the backyard. One was on the swing set post and kept "marching" in place - like he was super impressed with his own legs. :LOL: We had the hawks doing that in our kiddie pool one year. So entertaining! This is Mom with the two little ones. Moments after I took this, she caught a chipmunk and they shared it. Yuck. My son said he saw one of them swoop down to go after a fish, but she missed. If I have missing fish, I think I might know where they went. @GBBUDD I know you will want to see this.

Attachments

• owl1.jpg
    owl1.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 34
  • owl2.jpg
    owl2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 34

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How wonderful! All of our woods are in the back field. I know we get babies, but too far away to ever see like that! I am jealous!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you @bagsmom now all i need is a air line ticket and a address amazing three babies. i'd love to get them in my sights with my 600 mm lens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
How wonderful! All of our woods are in the back field. I know we get babies, but too far away to ever see like that! I am jealous!
After they ate the chipmunk, they were all watching the fish intently. No! Surf and Turf is not on the menu!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We suspected we had a resident family of barred owls. We got confirmation last night! We had seen adults frequently in the daytime. I saw a pair together. And now this: BABIES! They are so cute and very funny. Much like the hawk babies we had a year or so ago, raptor babies are pretty entertaining. They look so regal -- like real predators -- but they act so goofy! Later in the evening, Mom left the kids alone in the backyard. One was on the swing set post and kept "marching" in place - like he was super impressed with his own legs. :LOL: We had the hawks doing that in our kiddie pool one year. So entertaining! This is Mom with the two little ones. Moments after I took this, she caught a chipmunk and they shared it. Yuck. My son said he saw one of them swoop down to go after a fish, but she missed. If I have missing fish, I think I might know where they went. @GBBUDD I know you will want to see this.
I am soooooooooooooooooooooo jealous!! How absolutely fabulous that you get to watch them learn and grow :love: :love: :love: I'll need new pictures daily!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Okay....that's it....I am BEYOND jealous now...Could you please let me know what part of Tennessee you are in since I am thinking of relocating...seriously...I need owls...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Okay....that's it....I am BEYOND jealous now...Could you please let me know what part of Tennessee you are in since I am thinking of relocating...seriously...I need owls...
Everyone wants to live in Tennessee. I WAS LOOKING BEFORE THE PANDEMIC debacle started.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I don't know anything about Tennessee...I have to start researching...Too bad I did not consider it before moving to Florida and before the pandemic hit...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
FWIW Barred Owls are very widespread...
1685801512191.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Believe it or not - I'm in GA, near Atlanta. Just saw a post that there are river otters right in the city.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I would LOVE to live in TN, in the Smokey Mountains. My Dad wanted to buy property there in the early 70s. I wish they HAD!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@bagsmom I want some but not enough big trees close enough. So fun and cute for you to watch and enjoy. Do you do video's? My dad grew up in Tennessee way back when in the 1920's and he helped the adults fill jars w/moonshine to sell :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
FWIW Barred Owls are very widespread...
View attachment 157872
It's a crap shoot then:) Just luck of the draw... and you won the hand!

Ask a Question