Place your bets on what kind of fry this is :---

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Possibilities are golden white cloud mountain minnow, leopard danio, or goldfish. It turned up in the tiny amount of water I scooped out to check water quality, and kinda don't have the heart to throw him/her back to the aquatic wolves. I'll update if/when it's big enough to tell :)

Attachments

• IMG_7601.jpg
    IMG_7601.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my eyes might be clouded over but my first thought was 'dragonfly nymph'. Can you get a closer shot? Or some video of it swimming? Dragonfly larve don't swim like fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Id say goldfish.i have quite a few fry that look like that but mine are koi fish (thats all that are in my pond) its not a great pic but you can spot a few

Attachments

• 20210624_110253.jpg
    20210624_110253.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Sorry for the delayed reply, this little one swims exactly like a fish, not like a larvae. And miraculously it's still alive so far, so we shall see if it makes it a recognizable size. It also now spends all of it's time in a horizontal orientation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Id say goldfish.i have quite a few fry that look like that but mine are koi fish (thats all that are in my pond) its not a great pic but you can spot a few
yeah, I think I probably scooped up this little guy the very day he hatched or close to it, I think it'll be another week or two before it's that size. Amazingly fast swimmer already, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
You nailed it. It is a metallic goldfish, can’t yet tell if it will be common like dad (he was a carnival prize feeder fish long ago) or a comet with the American Shubunkin mom’s flowing fins.

Funnily enough, you’ll notice in the blurry photo (sorry, fish wouldn’t hold still ) that the big fry is not the only fish in the tank. As it turns out, when I realized the fry was going to live, I upgraded him to my little one gallon tank with a sponge filter from the glass bowl he was in. To make him feel more comfortable I grabbed the nearest tip of hornwort out of my pond and threw it in there, and as it turns out it apparently had goldfish eggs from a second spawning no more than 2 weeks after the first (I only have one mature female right now). So, little guy now has 8 brothers and sisters, including two wakin/watonai, which was completely unexpected with those parents. So they are all going to the 10 gallon which was just vacated by an accidental brood of guppies born in the quarantine tank (nothing survives in the community tank, normally). We will be rehoming many many fish in the coming months, it seems!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Little guy plus a wakin/watonai sibling

Attachments

• 17AA40E7-321F-4DB4-B79C-F65BFBE5CCB3.jpeg
    17AA40E7-321F-4DB4-B79C-F65BFBE5CCB3.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 32

Ask a Question