Planning a new Pond Project!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm not a fan of preforms at all. They create more work then is a epdm liner. Like how do you have water leave the preform? Cut one edge lower ? This will compromise their stability in a big way. The plastic is like metal the more bends the stronger the plastic is. Cut the rolled edge off and it's no longer that strong.

Try to secure liner to the preform? This will fail its not if, it's when, how long will it last. A preform that's lined could hold the water and have line liner drop at where the waterfall would be.

I know they are pricey but a biofalls would save a lot of time.
What I meant to say was a container bog - and having that container all within the big liner. Not using a preformed pond as the bog. Sort of using a container to hold the bog gravel (filter media) rather than trying to build a wall in a small area.
But I also agree that a bio falls for a small pond would save lots of time -- which leads me back to the idea of a kit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The kits are helpful for sure but deviate at all from it like not cutting the liner after it's attached under the weir and your back to custom . Plumbing . Kits can save a couple bucks. But I would not expect it to have everything I needed. I'd pre-order fittings and have them sent to dad. Better to have and not need then need and not have when you have a time crunch. Yes it may costv20 bucks to return ship but what's the cost of a leak, headache , or not finishing cost. Unfortunately the powers to be have decided inventory is too expensive. so they have cut back and a lot needs a couple days to be ordered. Even something as simple as pressure fittings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
OK, so I'd take @GBBUDD's advice on the pump and skimmer. As to the layout, here's one idea that would reuse the existing waterfall, and would require only five or six flat rocks for the edges. All you would need to do is take out the preform, then dig out all around to make a shallow edge coming into the lawn a bit and extending out to the sides. This need only be about 10-20 cm deep, so shouldn't require much digging.

View attachment 161818

I also like @Gbbud's idea about putting the skimmer inside of the liner to avoid the hassle of cutting out the weir opening. In the design here, I've put the skimmer right in front of the waterfall, so the opening wouldn't be visible from the viewing area, but of course, it could go wherever there's room.

That area at the top of the falls is perfect for a small bog area (I never much liked hydrangeas anyway ;-) ). This could even be done with a large planter sunk into the ground inside the liner, with the plumbing going over the side and down to the bottom. Ozponds has a video or two using that sort of set-up, and I recall someone here on the forum doing something similar.

In the simulation above, I've moved the lantern a bit closer to the pond, as this type of lantern is often used near water. I'm not sure you have it wired, but you could put a little battery-powered candle in there, like the ones Ikea sells. That would look really cool at night!
I love how you are able to photoshop your ideas like that. Looks great. I think the buffer between the pond and the lawn is a good idea. The lawn looks nice so I am guessing there might be fertilizer, herbicide etc being used. It was mentioned that the pond had quite a bit of algae so maybe fertilizer was getting in there, also looks like it might be in a sunny spot and that might have helped the algae grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I love how you are able to photoshop your ideas like that. Looks great. I think the buffer between the pond and the lawn is a good idea. The lawn looks nice so I am guessing there might be fertilizer, herbicide etc being used. It was mentioned that the pond had quite a bit of algae so maybe fertilizer was getting in there, also looks like it might be in a sunny spot and that might have helped the algae grow.
I love that photoshop trick, too! It was funny when I saw YShahar's photo. I thought "Hey wait, I thought I couldn't find any photos with the creeping Jenny filled out!" That is very close to what the little water feature looks like with all the plants grown in! Except for the nice rock work ideas. I have to make that happen!
As far as the algae goes -- there should be no runoff from the grass. You can't tell from the photo but we have the edges higher up and a soil berm around it.
The green water is because there is no filtration whatsoever. My Dad was hoping that plants would take care of things but they just aren't enough. There are a couple of goldfish in there, lots of sun - as you mentioned, and some detritus from the plants. I think we need a waterfall filter. I have a basic set up in my front yard pond -- waterfall filter/biofalls at one end and a skimmer with matala pad at the other. For the size of that pond, the system works great. All I ever do is hose out the crud from the skimmer pad. The waterfall filter is so overgrown with plants, I never open it up anymore.
I am loving all the input from everyone and all the wonderful ideas.
The moral support is especially appreciated!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With only a couple gold fish in the pond I would stop feeding them after a couple months all together. One the bio film starts to grow that's all they need.
What I meant to say was a container bog - and having that container all within the big liner. Not using a preformed pond as the bog. Sort of using a container to hold the bog gravel (filter media) rather than trying to build a wall in a small area.
But I also agree that a bio falls for a small pond would save lots of time -- which leads me back to the idea of a kit.
As you know i have met a certain someone who may have a scratch and dent setup kit , I was messaging him today it cant hurt to ask.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@GBBUDD - I was playing around on the Webb's site -- totally just making a pretend list.
No math calculations or anything - I was just ball parking.
I put in a pump with a VERY long cord - since (if he goes the plug in route) the cord would need to get over to the house.
I think this would be doable for him.
I already brought him a huge piece of thick underlayment and my foam applicator and 3 cans of foam.
I would need plumbing fittings and hose.
This is helping things get organized in my mind.

Attachments

• Sample shopping list for Gramps pond.png
    Sample shopping list for Gramps pond.png
    234.1 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Careful with the cord stretched across the ground if he puts his lawn it could be disasterous

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Careful with the cord stretched across the ground if he puts his lawn it could be disasterous
I figured we would bury it in PVC pipe made for electrical stuff. That's what we did with ours -- then brought it up in another PVC pipe with a bend and a cap - right up to the outside outlet. So far, it has worked well. I'm crossing my fingers that would be good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here is another question/thought. I know the big, 2" grey flex PVC is the strongest and most long-lasting material to use for pumping water to the waterfall.
However, it is big, bulky and hard to hide. It requires a pretty big "sweep" area to curve it and bring it around.
I'm thinking I will run the piping INSIDE the pond, in case of any leaks.
I want to do as YShahar and GBBUDD have suggested and keep the skimmer and waterfall filter inside the liner.
I think, in this situation, the black, ribbed, kink-free piping would work better. I could hide it more easily and I think it would be a little easier to maneuver in the confines of a smaller pond area.
I know it doesn't last as long.
But I think this pond really only needs to be functional for 10 years, ish.
Is using the black piping a mistake? Or a good idea in this situation?

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I also have all my plumbing inside the pond, basically routed along the margin and covered with gravel. I used the equivalent of 1.5 inch white flex pipe, as I couldn't get 2 inch pipe. I finally did find the 2 inch (or metric equivalent), so I'll be redoing the plumbing once the weather warms up.

You may be able to find the 1.5 inch stuff, which is considerably easier to bend. I bought mine at a swimming pool and spa supplier.

To do more acute bends, you can use Fernco 90 degree couplings. I'm using one of those at the pump end of the hose where it goes into my garbage can pump vault, and another at the centipede end of it. They're easy to attach with just a flat-head screwdriver!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Webb's does have flex PVC that is 1 1/2".
You'll probably find that much easier to work with. I used something like this to make 90 degree bends:

To attach the 1.5 inch hose to my Laguna pump, I used a different Fernco style coupling to go from 1.5 inch to 3/4 inch or thereabout. The pump came with one of those conical adapters, so it was just a matter of finding something to match. I cut a small section of the flex pipe to hook onto the pump at one end and the 90 degree elbow at the other. I stuck the elbow through a hole cut in my trash can/vault and attached the pipe. Very easy to hook up without having to glue a bunch of fittings.

Mind you, I had intended to glue everything, but after finally finding the pipe, it turned out that none of the PVC fittings actually fit it. So I ended up just sticking with rubber couplings throughout. So far, so good!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For Dad it can go both ways yes longevity is not needed for 30 years . Sure. But flex will take dad standing on it, better than will kink free. Now on the same thought I don't know if I'd fight running inside the pond to get to the bio falls. I can see why but running up the stream trying to hide it all will be tough unless you did a rench in the soil and tuck liner and pvc flex into it. Then a little gravel and your done.
I think I'd say uncle to trying to keep the line in the pond just for ease. Much easier to dig a drench below the liner and tuck the pipe in there. But it's even easier to run outside the pond .
I would probably go with kink free for one reason it's easy to bend. But i would probably just run it up over the edge with a sturdy surface inder it so the edge doesnt colapse and leak . Then trench up to the biofalls . If yout thinking a intake and wetland then yeah id lean to keeping it in the pond .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh wow. Alot of work. Good of you to do this. I'm collecting rocks for my little overflow pond. As I. 72 and not in great shape it will take awhile.the sump pump pipe flows into the backyard. The water has dig a hole and then all soggy. So I'm going to put in a liner and give it a try.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Webb's does have flex PVC that is 1 1/2".
When are you heading to dads to build his pond? And every day when you fist see the project take a picture . then one after lunch and one at the end of the day all from the same spot . and then some closeups to show your hard work

Ask a Question