Planting Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yup, turts like their salad munchies. Duckweed, plantain, arrowhead, waterlily stems seem to have just the right texture and convenient to snip with their secateur like snipping beak. What better on a hot day than loaf in pleasant waters among the foliage and just, nibble away at them

Some plants are more resistrant to grazing than others, either by being too tough or not nice tasting. Thalia, sedges, cyperus, iris will usually be to bothersome to try

ah, difference between elodea and egeria, Egeria has a prominent saw tooth edge to its leaf is a big hint, you may need a magnifying glass to spot that

From the pov of keeping waterlilies, there is a big diff between the growing habits of the two.

Egeria densa grows very reliable, does a big job on improving water quality... Within the confines of an ornamental pond or aquarium it is a very robust, reliable plant. When it wanders into waterlily positions its simple roots are fairly easy to weed, when you yank it out, its gone.

Elodea canadensis is a bit stragglier, when that wanders into lily tubs, it tunnels into the dirt... when you rip the tops of, it springs back much worse. Very much a pain and quite capable of smothering waterlilies, blotting out vital light to them through the Winter months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was thinking about trying cat litter instead of clay sand mix fromy yard. What cat litter sold for pets is best. Has any one used industrial litter sold for cleaning up spills in auto shop about have as puch as pet version.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was thinking about trying cat litter instead of clay sand mix fromy yard. What cat litter sold for pets is best. Has any one used industrial litter sold for cleaning up spills in auto shop about have as puch as pet version.
I just got some of the Oil-dri product. Have not had a chance to start repotting plants yet. I will post results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
"Paws and Claws" is a litter sold at Tractor Supply. Somewhere around $6 for a 40 lb bag. Essentially it's ground and screened clay anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b or 7a
Country
United States
I ended up making a bog and for the lilies I just ended up putting them in pea gravel. What I've done in the past. clay might be better since it bonds together

Ask a Question