Planting Saururus Cernuus (Lizard's Tail)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Last year I planted Lizard's Tail about 1" below the surface of the water. Would it do better only having it's roots wet and actually have the stem above water or leave it 1" below the surface?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did your plants grow well as shallowly emergent aquatic plants?
I've grown Lizard-tal (Saururus cernuus) as bog plants and they did well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It should be fine with being planted 1" below the surface. Give it a season or two. Lizard tail takes a couple of growing seasons to really take off, but once it does.... it's unstoppable! It's fine with anything from damp soil to several inches of water over its crown. Mine runs & pops up in areas where it's 12" deep or more, so don't worry about it quite yet, if it's only been a year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It will fill any size container you put it in, so use whatever diameter you'd like it to end up. Mine is planted directly in the gravel on a shelf, not in a container, so I just let it run until it gets beyond where I want it & then I go in & start yanking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lizard-tail (Saururus cernuus) can grow in bogs with it's rhizomes above the water level, as long as roots are able to reach into saturated soil below.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know that you needed a new thread for each plant- but I'll say it again...skip the pot. Naturalize your plants and they will grow where it best suits them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are under water 6 inches , above water , water level , it just grows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Since I don't have a gravel/rock bottom or selves in the pond they must be planted in a pot. I'm having an issue now where the roots hit the edge of the container and grew up into the air. Based on the comments here I think that might just be an issue with these guys regardless of pot size since they sound like the like to send out runners. I think I might just do some trimming and call it a day on these fellas.

Thank you again to all who replied!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
I have shelves, but they just have pond liner on them... no rock or gravel there to support plants which is why I need the pots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can let the plants stolons (runners) grow into the water. There is no need to cut them off. Even if they grow up into the air for a bit they will eventually bend over into/onto the water or soil.

Ask a Question