Preparing Lotus for planting

Reaction score
Country
United States
I overwintered my lotus, which started up from a seed last year, and I kept it in a plastic bin indoors with a thick towel covering the top to prevent freezing. I hadn't checked up on it for about a month until yesterday and I noticed some colorless stems (I don't know if this is normal) sprouted. The weather is finally warming up over here and I wanted to harvest the tuber so I could replant it, but now I'm not sure if I should leave it alone or if it is fine to go ahead and remove the tuber. Any thoughts or advice?

Attachments

• 01FB36C0-6CCD-40F3-A7C2-894C77D95B49.jpeg
    01FB36C0-6CCD-40F3-A7C2-894C77D95B49.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 3CB2880D-D7D8-4A31-8492-994ED7D8FF69.jpeg
    3CB2880D-D7D8-4A31-8492-994ED7D8FF69.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The colorless stems are leaves, pale because the plant hasn't got enough sunlight. Is that just one seedling? The plant may not have formed much of a tuber yet and since it is actively growing, I would not attempt to repot it. Best to repot them before they send up new leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The colorless stems are leaves, pale because the plant hasn't got enough sunlight. Is that just one seedling? The plant may not have formed much of a tuber yet and since it is actively growing, I would not attempt to repot it. Best to repot them before they send up new leaves.
Yea, this is just from one seedling from last year. Will the pale stems still form healthy leaves with sunlight or do you think they will die off?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lotus have been planted for years, this time of year the stems and leaves are all pale. Until they start hitting the surface, open up and get going for the season.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My lotus have been planted for years, this time of year the stems and leaves are all pale. Until they start hitting the surface, open up and get going for the season.

This is what the tuber looks like. Best picture I could take right now

Attachments

• 517C3DB6-4F24-42D6-B254-900BDE89FBFE.jpeg
    517C3DB6-4F24-42D6-B254-900BDE89FBFE.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 43DADF1C-7A02-441B-83C4-B1C5C86CBECF.jpeg
    43DADF1C-7A02-441B-83C4-B1C5C86CBECF.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 60

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Since you have it out of the pot, I would go ahead and divide it. Watch some of the videos on YouTube. Just be careful not to damage the grow tips. Looks like you are going to need several pots!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since you have it out of the pot, I would go ahead and divide it. Watch some of the videos on YouTube. Just be careful not to damage the grow tips. Looks like you are going to need several pots!
I think I’m looking to only do one pot since I don’t have much space. I mainly want to divide it so I can get rid of the nest of roots and make it look cleaner when I replant

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Be gentle, it has growth tips, the tubers are fragile at this point. And the lotus does not care if it is not pretty root wise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
what addy said in spades; lotus if bruised/broken will not do well for you and could die. Were it mine and since it's already growing, I'd wait until next year when it's dormant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
what addy said in spades; lotus if bruised/broken will not do well for you and could die. Were it mine and since it's already growing, I'd wait until next year when it's dormant.
Be gentle, it has growth tips, the tubers are fragile at this point. And the lotus does not care if it is not pretty root wise.
I suppose you're right, if I were to divide it then I should have done it sooner, around late-March. I'll leave it as is this year since it has begun sprouting. Will it matter if it becomes more crowded? Because it is already snug in the current pot it is in, but I don't have space for a larger one

Ask a Question