Plants are dying

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me out. I've got a custom built wall fountain with planters on both sides of the collection pool. Water from the fountain splashes into the planters. I am currently using bleach as an algae control as nothing else seems to work. The bleach in the water is what's killing the plants. What other effective method of algae control can I use that won't kill the plants. Picture attached of my setup.

Attachments

• Fountain.jpg
    Fountain.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 303
Reaction score
DrDave said:
The fumes from the bleach probably what is doing it. Splashing water doesn't help either.

Thank you for your response.

I know the bleach is the culprit. What can I use to effectively control the algae other than bleach?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't know where you are locatated at, but I would call or email a fountain contractor and see what they recommend to their customers. Make sure they know you have plants nearby that need to be unaffected. There are other methods out there that work better besides bleach.

Reaction score
i wonder if barley would work you know the kind for ponds to help with algae...but i think that you would have to dechlorinate the water first or drain it...either way

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
barley only works for prevention, it wont kill existing algae, but if you clean out the fountain, scrub it down with a bleach solution, and rinse it well,you can restart the system with barley extract, not bales,bales can take a month or even two to start fermenting,and they need to ferment to produce trhe humic acids that control the alge. and barley peelets will work quiker than bales, but will turn your water brown for a while. thats the natural way: you could restart it with tetra pond algacide,or another brand,but your fountain will become chemically dependant, the dead alge will become food for the next cycle of algae!!!!!!

Reaction score
rexus31 said:
I was hoping someone could help me out. I've got a custom built wall fountain with planters on both sides of the collection pool. Water from the fountain splashes into the planters. I am currently using bleach as an algae control as nothing else seems to work. The bleach in the water is what's killing the plants. What other effective method of algae control can I use that won't kill the plants. Picture attached of my setup.

Controlling algae is usually more of a problem for new ponds because new pond does not have the proper balance of plants and animal life. Same matter with fountains. If you manage it properly .Sure about that water is always on run and sewerage system is best for flow.

Ask a Question