Water Plants Dying

Reaction score
I have a 1600 gallon pond measuring 17 x 10 x 2.5 ft. Filtration consists of a 4000 gph mechanical/bio filter with 9W UV, and a skimmer pumping to a 200 gal bog filter. I have 15 common goldfish (7-10 inches long) and feed them pretty frequently. They've been in the new pond for 2-3 months. The water is crystal clear and the fish are doing great. The only problem is my water plants. Even the Hyacinth and Parrot Feather are doing poorly. The temp here has been between 90 and 100 degrees for the past month and a half. The pond gets full sun from about 10 am to 6 pm. Water temp hits a high during the day of 90 to 95 if I don't cover it. 85 to 90 if I do. Is the water too hot? Is my water too clean causing a lack on nutrients? Hope someone has some advice.

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are a lot of people that would love to have water that is too clean, but that might be the problem, you may have not built up a lot of nutrients in your pond yet. How are the bog plants doing?
The heat here has been brutal, some of the land plants are dying even with getting plenty of water.

Reaction score
Even some of the bog plants are having problems. I have a Pontederia Cordata that did well for a few weeks. Now it too is showing signs of distress (browning leaves, wilting).

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
For that many gallons, you need either more goldfish or get some Koi. I think your plants are starving. I have the same size in gallons and mine grow faster than I can sell them.

Reaction score
I have the same issue, my water hyacinth just started to die off and turn brown once my water cleared up. my pond is a 1000 gal has approx 17 gold fish and 7 or so koi, i just cant get plants to grow in my pond.

Reaction score
I'll have a second waterfall set up next week. I'm considering shutting off the first (which runs through the filter and UV) for a little while and see if that will allow the algae to build up some. Ain't this a trip. Most people are complaining of dirty water and I'm trying to make mine dirtier.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
letting alge build up is counter productive to getting your plants to grow. it feeds on the same nutrients...try fertilizing them. not to mention possible ammonia build up in water. and your filters bacteria dying off

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There are folks with Garden Pools and people with Garden Ponds, don't be afraid of not so perfect water if you are the latter. After all this is the Garden Pond Forum.

Pristine pools are not suitable for pond plants and a natural look. I do everything I can to make mine look like it belongs in my yard and from the comments I get daily, it is worth it.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
For that many gallons, you need either more goldfish or get some Koi. I think your plants are starving. I have the same size in gallons and mine grow faster than I can sell them.

I don't really want anymore goldfish. How many Koi would you recommend I add. Will they get too big for the pond?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You will get a lot of opinions on how many. Let me say that your filtration, circulation, and do diligence really determine how many you can have.

That said, Koi do grow and so does their waste. I adjust mine by selling the ones that I don't want in my breeding stock. Right now I have about 20 Koi of all sizes, mostly under 3 years old. Some of those will be sold this summer to make way for a few that I won't sell from the last spawn.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
letting alge build up is counter productive to getting your plants to grow. it feeds on the same nutrients...try fertilizing them. not to mention possible ammonia build up in water. and your filters bacteria dying off

Is there a particular fertilizer you use or recommend. I was leaning toward a liquid.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
You will get a lot of opinions on how many. Let me say that your filtration, circulation, and do diligence really determine how many you can have.

Thanks. I think I'll just start with 2 for now and see how it goes.

Reaction score
DrDave,

After a little research on mixing Koi and goldfish, it doesn't seem to be a popular choice for most people. What's your opinion?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
gary said:
DrDave,

After a little research on mixing Koi and goldfish, it doesn't seem to be a popular choice for most people. What's your opinion?

Are you going to breed them? If not, then what is there to worry about?

I let mey Koi do the fertilizing and that has always worked for me.

Ask a Question