Plants To Surround The Area Of The Pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You unemployed too Rich? My DH is also and he's headed down your way job looking in Kent next week and he said he'd bring you your duckweed if that's ok with you. I'll let ya know what day he's coming so you can be on guard or he can just leave it on your porch if you're not home :regular_waving_emot

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Total coolness, or better yet. If I know in advance, I could meet him half way in the Kent area. I'll PM you and give my phone number so he can call to make that connection.

Happy ponding,

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
Hi FX,
I'm landscaping my yard and pond this year, so in the fall I had my local Audubon Society come out and do a free audit of my yard, and then they gave me tons and tons of information about the kinds of native plants I can plant to attract birds etc. It really depends if you like the natural look or a more ornamental look. I prefer a natural looking pond and am going for the native plants that like part shade. Lobelia, cardinal flower, asters, and lots of fern for exampls.
Joanie

FXM

Reaction score
Thanks Joanie!

The more I think about it, I am going to go with "natural" plants that are in and around Tyler State Park.

F.X.

Reaction score
I just ordered some plants from ponddeals.com
Japanese Iris, Sioux lilly, frog bit, lobilia, yellow flag iris, and golden creeping jenny. Should be at teh house in the next week, I hope the quality is better then the local stores becuase my water hyracanth and lilly were duds last year :confused:
Half are going int eh 250 gal bog, the lilly and floaters are for the pond once we're done building :lol:
anyone have experiance with these before? tips specially for keeping the lilly okay?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I like varigated leaf varietes along the pond. I have some sun-tolerant hostas and variegated tall grasses. I am going to order some of the Irish Moss that was mentioned in this thread, I was also looking to do some creeping juniper. Half my pond is above ground so I have a limited area for planting.

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
I agree with j.w. find a good ma and pa garden center in your area and they can give you some suggestions. I have planted several what my garden center call alpine plants that are hardy perannials that are lower growing and flower I have to walk back to my shed I should have some of the names written down. I get back to you.

Ask a Question