Please check your fish and pond when you come out of winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Now that people are starting to come out of winter it is vitlly important that you check all of your fish soonest for any sign of infection .
Many of our fish will have had a tough old time of things especially in the US and Canada as it is now that they are at their weekest ebb that you tend to get infections namely the Aeomonas hydophillia .
This comes about if ponds and filters were not prepared for winter and detritus / leaf little was left in the pond from your fall.
Check your fish for excessive mucus production red sores with raised scales that could lead to dropsy if not treated or even ulcers.
The quicker you correct things the better your fish will stand a chance of survival .
It is alsio the time of year that parasites start to attack already weakend fish again spead is of the essence in identifying the parasite though use of a scrape under a microscope then treating accordingly.
davem has already found he has a problem with an Areomonas infection , thankfully our own koi through good husbandry have come through just fine
Reading maria's thread it may also be a good idea to check out your pond liners if you have them for any leaks caused by ice .
If you switched off your filters priorto winter without cleaning them first do so before you switch it on as you dont want loads of detritus being vioded by them directly into the pond which is something you dont want to happen.
If you do a water change trickle it into your pond this way you wont cool the water anymore as the ambient temperature of the pond will slowly warm it as it mixes with your mature pond water.
Done correctly there should be little or no loss of temperature as you will be using the ambient temperature of the pond itself to warm it slightly .
If done correctly you'll loose around .1-.2c which is hardly anything .
When the water temperature reaches 10c for over a one to two week period then slowly start feeding your fish Wheatgerm and garlic to help guard against parasites all in all follow these steps an it should put you hin very good stead for the late spring early summer .:)

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Every chance I got this winter, in between the snow and ice, I would try to look at the fish. Now, that it has gotten warmer and all that nasty white stuff is gone, I'm enjoying looking at them. I think they missed me too, Dr. Phil comes to the edge of the pond begging for food. But that water is still oh so cold. So far, the fish are doing well. Great post Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldnt use medicated food as the start up food Maria stick with the wheatgerm and garlic seeing as I only ever use salt to recharge my zeolite I would say thats up to you , I'm a non believer in salt unless its for a short term dip to rid the fish of parasites .
If in doubt water change perhaps someone else could comment on the use of salt short term on spring start up .
Your not finding your fish are down with something are you ?:)

Dave;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
No no, The fish are fine.

I'm just asking in general what people do with their pond fish as this is the first year my fish spent winter outside.

I already have the wheatgerm food and garlic ready to go as soon as it warms up enough to feed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Basically as I said Maria but it sounds like your taking everything onboard give them the best possible conditions food etc and they should come through fine.
Use your feeding time wisely looking for any signs of damage that your fish may have , you must look especially for any red areas which can be a sign of bacterial infection, damage to fins etc should be treated .
If you find any wounds anethatize the fish clean the wound with cotton buds always working outwards , use one bud each time then scrub any wound lightly with a soft toothbrush removing any dead tissue.
Once this is done coat the wound with malachite and then spray with propolis amd bring the fish around then gently release it .
For ulcers first take a swab for testing at the Vets so you know which bacteria you are up against then when you have the answer use a good quality bacteriacide to treat the pond,
Then for the ulcer unless like ourselves you have koi clear gel treat the ulcer as above in a QT fasility so that you can keep a very close eye as to its progress
But if you followed the steps of prepping the pond and filters I doubt that your going to see any :)

Dave
However if

Ask a Question