Please don't take offense to my screename

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Glad to hear your having some sucsess, I have to say, either your lucky or I'm not, because the bb/pellet gun DIDN'T work for me. I hit it twice, once I'm almost certain I shot it's eye out. But that greedy sucker tried to eat a 18" koi and when it had the koi fully in his mouth and trying to swallow my Lab figured out how to take care of him! He couldn't take off with that big fish and the Lab didn't give him a second chance. Wire covers and overhead fishing line is the only two things I've found that worked that are legal.
Buckshot also works very well but the neighbors aren't really supportive of that idea,
Another option I'm considering trying, A Flame Thrower!!!! :confused:

It has been stated to honor thy neighbor but it never said anything about keeping them happy and supportive. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
KoiKiller said:
A couple days later, we got a visit from the largest Heron I've ever seen. I swear he stood 4 foot and weighed about 60-70 pounds.

4 foot is possible for great egrets (they are white). But even at that height, they weigh a mere 2 lb. Hard to believe hu? We all hate them for obvious reasons, but I cant help think its a fabulously beautiful and elegant bird.

Anyway, the thing that has worked wonders for me is suspending fishing lines in the flight path of the heron. Im unsure if just the sight of the lines that scares him as some say, or the fact they do not see it but touch it in flight scares the bejesus out of them as others say, but I havent had a heron come near my pond since I put them up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When we fly into florida, all water bodies near the air port have lines strung over them. They also have metallic ribbon hanging on the wires. We have never seen a bird in any of those ponds.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have watched them over the past 18 years in this house. They land 20 - 30' away and slowly walk up to my pond. Sometimes they spend 30 minutes, like they are stalking as they approach the edge. Wires only keep them from wading in unless they extend several feet from the edge. Pretty hard to work on or enjoy your pond with permanent stuff installed. My netting takes only a minute to remove.

Ask a Question