Please share photos of your covered pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I agree @sissy . I try to make sure I peek through the cinder block "holes" each day, but truthfully, I don't do it everyday....however, I'm not running a pump during the winter. The pump to my Sand & Gravel filter, is inside the skimmer, so can't drain the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did it that day but that night it turned cold fast with lots of wind and if I had not bundled up and went out to look I surely would have lost my fish .I just had a feeling something was wrong so put my coat over my PJ'S to take a look .Sure glad I listened to my mind for once .No pumps any more ,just an aerator and heater .Thing was that day it had warmed up to 60 degrees and the weather changed in just a few minutes and kept changing .I never want anyone to ever have that happen to them .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Only problem I see with covers is that you have no clue what is going on in there unless you lift the cover and look.

Or you use a security camera setup and watch from your iPhone!
File Oct 23, 4 01 33 PM.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a security camera ,my son bought one for me after that .It worried him I was out there and going to fall or freeze and catch the flu .I feel better with it but still go out and check with my own eyes .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Tell me more about this camera set up :)

Well there are a ton of different web cam / security cam / surveillance cam options out there. I felt overwhelmed by the choices. I purchased a Netgear product but it's new enough that I can't recommend it yet. It's indoor/outdoor and is fully wireless.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought my set off ebay 89 dollars and 4 cameras .I can see it on cell phone and tablet when I want to .Just make sure when you have wireless or wired that you watch that you don't get hacked .The watch to see when yu are coming and going and try to see if you have indoor cameras .I dismantled my camera on my puter .A friend of mine is puter expert and I could not believe how easy he makes it sound .Sad it is for our safety but can put our safety at risk also .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish I was technologically smart!
You don't need to be tech smart to work with some of the security systems Gemma. Ours is an 8 camera wired system that runs to the DVR receiver. We have an old 22" monitor we watch the cameras on. Setting it up to watch on phone & laptop did take some time but it has saved the ponds on several occasions.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The one I bought was elec and now it is 59 dollars on ebay .I bought a second set when the price went down and bought a set for the other house .Each of mine has 4 cameras .I have been happy with them ..I did get one replacement camera that had wider angle and could zoom and had more LED'S so I could see the mail box at night and during the day it was 8.99 .That was after things were stolen from my mailbox

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What happens to the frogs if I cover the pond? the frogs usually come out of the pond in the evening and cross our drive, then they return before sunrise, not sure when they stop for the year, but they are still doing so

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
What happens to the frogs if I cover the pond? the frogs usually come out of the pond in the evening and cross our drive, then they return before sunrise, not sure when they stop for the year, but they are still doing so

I left a couple of small gaps in sides of the plastic cover over the waterfall because I have lots of birds that come for a drink. They are able to hop in and out. I'm not sure if a frog would be that smart.

Ask a Question