Pls help me identify this wildcat in my backyard...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lou, "wildcat" is a name that is used to cover Bobcats, Lynx, Cougars, and large Ferrel cats. They are all wild. I've never seen a lynx but looking at there range it is a possibility. Bobcats for sure seems to be in that area. Bobcats can be colored from almost Black to very faint blond in color. The older the cat the less the body markings show. Some will keep these marking their entire life, some lose their marking on the body within the first year. They can interbreed with Ferrel cats, But it is very rare, In most cases the Ferrel cat would be considered food. IF you see one in the wild, Do not run, stand still and make noise. They will avoid confrontation unless cornered. then they get down right NASTY! Not just bite and scratch. They also spray, and pee and it stinks! . Even young babies can be very destructive and nasty. If you happen to see it on a regular basis contact the Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries. they will live trap it and move it to a better location. Do not capture and think you can keep it. contact DWLF right away. Some states carry a hefty fine for possession of a bobcat or protected "WILD" cat.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Lou, "wildcat" is a name that is used to cover Bobcats, Lynx, Cougars, and large Ferrel cats. They are all wild. I've never seen a lynx but looking at there range it is a possibility. Bobcats for sure seems to be in that area. Bobcats can be colored from almost Black to very faint blond in color. The older the cat the less the body markings show. Some will keep these marking their entire life, some lose their marking on the body within the first year. They can interbreed with Ferrel cats, But it is very rare, In most cases the Ferrel cat would be considered food. IF you see one in the wild, Do not run, stand still and make noise. They will avoid confrontation unless cornered. then they get down right NASTY! Not just bite and scratch. They also spray, and pee and it stinks! . Even young babies can be very destructive and nasty. If you happen to see it on a regular basis contact the Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries. they will live trap it and move it to a better location. Do not capture and think you can keep it. contact DWLF right away. Some states carry a hefty fine for possession of a bobcat or protected "WILD" cat.

I live in WA state. The closest big city to me is Seattle but the mountains are just outside my backyard.

Anyway, this morning I saw a wildcat strolling across my backyard. My wife had seen something like that a couple of years ago but she couldn't identify it and I got a better look this morning. Unfortunately, it walked away before I could get my camera.

He/she is 28-30 inches long and very sturdy looking. The coat is a tawny color with no markings on it. The closest color I can match on the internet is this cat:
http://www.nileabys.bigpondhosting.com/images/orpheus.jpg
The most distinct feature of this cat was the black tipped ears with some white on it. The ears stick up.
I know this is definitely not a cat because I'm a cat person. It's not just bigger than a cat, it's more meaty than a cat and it walked slowly with a purpose unlike cats. It's a full grown cat.

I tried looking it up on the internet.
It's not a bobcat because it doesn't have markings.
It's not a lynx because it doesn't have markings.
It's too small to be a cougar and a little too dark and the ears don't match.
What it looks like is a caracal cat, but that's supposed to be an African cat living in hot weather and I'm not how it could survive here in the cold rainy weather, especially when it snows.

So anyone care to guess what it is?

This forum may be able to help you: http://www.thecatsite.com/join . I have also reached out to several feline experts I know. Sure wish you could take a photo of the actual cat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My friend up the road has a rescued Lynx/Bobcat mix that someone had as a pet and de-clawed it so now it cannot be released into the wild. She has been allowed to keep it and Dept of wildlife has visited her property. There are many variations of wild cats especially when humans get involved w/ breeding them together. This cat now has to live out it's life in a pen. My friend has the best possible set up for her but still it's not the wild where it should be. Sometimes these cats that have been bred together from different breeds get loose and roam the neighborhoods and can cause trouble.

s bobcat Cosey.JPG

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I was hunting a few years back, early at first light a momma bobcat and 3 little ones walked by me one was snow white it was a beautiful cat.
They meowed like reg little kittens but were big . It was nice to see

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat that you got to see the mother and baby DrCase and must have been an albino I'm guessing. We have them around here and they steal the neighbors chickens. One ran out in front of me one year over at the tree farm. At first I thought it was a dog then noticed it was a big cat about the size of a medium dog. Had spots on it and ran like the wind into the woods It was late morning when I saw it and was prolly hunting rabbits............. lots of rabbits in there. Was scared of me..........glad of that!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Back at our home states of Alabama and Louisiana Bobcats are supposedly plentiful. Their stealth makes them willy creatures out in the forests. Funny side note, my high school mascot is a Wildcat and wifey's is a Bobcat. Growing up in a country hamlet of 290 souls I spend many wonderful hours in the forest.

Ask a Question