morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I ordered one, just because Mitch swears by them. It was cheap at around $80 (less than two cases of beer), so I figured......what the hell, give it a shot. Backordered of course, so hopefully I won't have to break ice when it finally gets here.

The main reason that I bought one, as I said, is that Mitch swears by them. Also, as a contributing factor, I see from Mitch's avatar that his pond supports a healthy population of Moose, which I figure have a much greater BOD than a bunch of dinky fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
... Also, as a contributing factor, I see from Mitch's avatar that his pond supports a healthy population of Moose, which I figure have a much greater BOD than a bunch of dinky fish.

Yeah, the mini easter eggs that those moose leave behind really play havoc on higher volume pumps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
These breathers are not a cure-all. You still have to have a reasonable fish load and reasonably clean pond going into winter.
I just want people to understand what they do.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Anyone that doesn't clean the pond come Fall (ie. leaves) is just asking for trouble. If you're able, toss up a leaf net, or scoop out as many as possible before freeze-up.

I don't run pumps in the winter for the simple reason that if the pump clogs for some reason, I won't know it and even if I did, there wouldn't be a reasonable means by which to access it. My pumps stay in the pond, but are unplugged. I've run this way for more than 15 years and have never lost a fish.

I've always run just an aerator for the winter, but I figured that I'd try a breather just for shits and giggles. What the hell, can't hurt and my wife is always telling me that I like to spend money. May as well live up to my hype. I got one on-line from the States cheaper than I could get one on-line in Canada, even with the exchange and shipping costs. Go figure.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I hope they're not shipping it via UPS, otherwise you may have a nasty $50 surprise before the driver hands it over to you.
That's what UPS charges us canucks for brokerage fees.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, if it does happen as such I'm blaming it on you and have the written content to prove it. I will take a moose in exchange, you handle the shipping on that one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
As I said earlier, mine is back ordered till Nov. 26. Today I turned off and removed my large aerator for the winter. I suspended four airstones on my smaller aerator , from a pvc rod across the pond. I folded back my new mesh net while I was doing this work and was amazed how well it works, no debris in the pond.

I'm still running my filter and am hopeful to get the breather installed, prior to having to shut off the filter. I'm trying to do things in stages. I also did a nice water change today.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I've been following this thread and decided to order a couple of pond breathers. We ran the pumps all last winter and had more ice than when we just ran heaters. I use 100W floating heaters and have 1500W for those really cold spells. Never have run an aerator in the winter but after losing a fish this summer to low O2, invested in a large air pump. I will pull that in before things ice up and put my old smaller ones back in.
BTW- most sites were back ordered on breathers but found them from Blains Farm & Fleet.- $53. + shipping. They were here in 2 days!

Reaction score
I've been following this thread and decided to order a couple of pond breathers. We ran the pumps all last winter and had more ice than when we just ran heaters. I use 100W floating heaters and have 1500W for those really cold spells. Never have run an aerator in the winter but after losing a fish this summer to low O2, invested in a large air pump. I will pull that in before things ice up and put my old smaller ones back in.
BTW- most sites were back ordered on breathers but found them from Blains Farm & Fleet.- $53. + shipping. They were here in 2 days!
The reason there was more ice with the pumps running is because circulating water loses heat faster that still water. Or maybe I'm full if it and it was just colder hahaha...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Just checked out Blains Farm and Fleet and they do have the pond breather in stock. I can't remember what I pd for mine through Dr. foster's and Smith, but I did have a 10 % off coupon. Wondering if I should buy this and cancel the other....or get both - LOL!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had mine since spring, ordered them right after someone here lost every fish in the pond using an aerator. The fish started dieing in February when it hit -15 for a few nights.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Check the bulb before you pitch it. Does it have a time selector (ie. 4, 6, 12 . 24hr)? Run it for 24hrs until it clears then dial it back (if you have the option) to the level that sustains the clarity.

24hr bulbs last about a year, so you're probably right on the money with that.

Must be your temperatures, I don't run a UV light in my pond and haven't experienced a bloom, even in the hottest summers.

As always, I'm available to hand deliver the new bulb and to install it in exchange for room/board/food/alcohol. This process will take approximately 2.5 months, at which time I have to come back home and pack for the Dominican.

Ask a Question