Pond Breather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
i bought mine at Farm and Fleet but I am lucky, they are about 5 miles away from me. I am hoping they keep the opening in the ice all winter. Last year the pump that was running domed over so many times that my son felt sorry for me outside with my pan of hot water melting an opening in the ice that he bought me a blowtorch. :) The neighbors thought I was crazy out by the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
My pond is approximately 4500 gallons and I have 2 in my pond already. I have them turned on because I shut down my biofalls and supplemental filter. I am located in North Jersey where temps are getting into the mid 30's already but not freezing temps. The water is approximately 42 degrees. My logic was to turn them on to allow the decaying plant matter gas to escape. Is that wrong logic and not necessary or is it good? Opinions will be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
My pond is approximately 4500 gallons and I have 2 in my pond already. I have them turned on because I shut down my biofalls and supplemental filter. I am located in North Jersey where temps are getting into the mid 30's already but not freezing temps. The water is approximately 42 degrees. My logic was to turn them on to allow the decaying plant matter gas to escape. Is that wrong logic and not necessary or is it good? Opinions will be greatly appreciated

I'm in North Jersey too and still running my pump / waterfall. I ordered a breather but haven't gotten it yet. I'm hoping I can just keep my main pump running until it ships. I'm way behind on winterizing my yard this year... Thought I had more time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My house sitter is turning ours on today, the pond has a light covering of ice on it now. She is putting a new battery in the pond temperature transmitter, it died, of course after we left. (I forgot to replace it)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Our pond breather arrived late yesterday afternoon, but it was dark out. Today hubby put it in the pond. It looks kind of odd to me, not sure if it's working properly....but then I don't know what it's supposed to look like. I can see a slight trickle coming from the black tube inside the glass tube....is that what I'm supposed to see. I thought it would completely fill the glass tube.

Of course it' very cold 20 was our high today, so don't feel like fiddling too much outside with it. AReator and pond de ices are running well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I turned mine on to test them, you have a small amount of water coming up the tube and going back into the pond, down the tube.

Ask a Question