Pond Breather

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I ordered 2, one for my pond and one for my parents based on the recommendations here. I have used de-icers (heaters) which didn't last long and used up a lot of electricity, air bubbler's for the last few years, now I am going to try this and see.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We're having quite a cold snap and have a dusting of snow, which is laying on top of my net. The only opening I see, is about my pond breather:) I've got an air stone and deicer going as well, but the pond breather is working!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My two breathers are just working along, keeping the big pond happy and the tank pond happy. I see the fish swimming around now and then. The pond is totally iced over now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Last week when it was warmer I looked at my pond breather more closely and noticed is has vertical cracks in the clear part...but it still seems to be working. Was thinking of calling Fosters and Smith to see if they've had any similar complaints. I'm just happy it's working!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can not see mine that well, but it appears to have no cracks. I would call them, they are real good about customer service. I can see the water flowing in the tube, so it is working.
Send Mitch a message see if he has had cracks in his.

snow.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
No cracks here - what do you mean cracks?
Post a picture if you can.
Any water leaking from the cracks?
I checked mine today, working away great even though we received a foot of snow yesterday.

I wonder if you're just seeing ice that can form inside the tube.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Mine are working great which is a good thing since winter decided to come back. Two weeks ago all the ice was gone. Now, the only openings are the pond breathers.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Temps down in the burrrrrrrrrrrr high 50's with wind chill low 50's warning people to wear jackets lol. Home a toasty 8 chill -5

We are watching the weather, trying to decide when to head north, winter mix hitting most of next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
No cracks here - what do you mean cracks?
Post a picture if you can.
Any water leaking from the cracks?
I checked mine today, working away great even though we received a foot of snow yesterday.

I wonder if you're just seeing ice that can form inside the tube.

Cracks like those that appear in an acrylic glass over time, one that's been through the dishwasher many times. I'm too cold to take a pic today, maybe tomorrow....unless I get a burst of energy ! LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Wishing I had invested in one this year. Below zero temps all week and I went out last night with a flash light and only about a 7" diam. hole near one of the air bubblers. Heater couldn't be seen. Suppose to get to -17 last night. Now wind is blowing so hard we have ground blizzards off and on. temp is 13F. Hoping the hole is not completely covered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wishing I had invested in one this year. Below zero temps all week and I went out last night with a flash light and only about a 7" diam. hole near one of the air bubblers. Heater couldn't be seen. Suppose to get to -17 last night. Now wind is blowing so hard we have ground blizzards off and on. temp is 13F. Hoping the hole is not completely covered.
Is it too late to order one? You could use a pot of hot water to mel a hole to place it in. I got mine from Drs. Fosters and Smith, but know they're available many other places. This cold snap is bitter cold!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haver, my pond is like Mitch's right now, froze darn solid. We have been down to the minus, and teens. The pond breather is working away. Fish seem happy, you can see them swim by the cameras now and then.
foster and smith still has them, 59 with free shipping lol They ship fast.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18057

After someone in Md lost every fish, in their 11000 gallon pond last year, using a aerator, I swapped to the pond breather in my big pond and the 1000 gallon pond.

Mitch should get a commission!

p-32677-42510-60529_001-pond.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have one in each pond and when we finally turned off the pumps this week, the ponds froze over . Yesterday was our coldest so far at 10F. Checked the ponds in the morning and one of my 100W heaters gave up! Pond breathers working great!

Ask a Question