Pond build and Inverted aquariums and drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds very technical to build in drainage-do you have to do up garden to connect to main drain? What’s wrong with using a net or a pond vacuum? I use sludge bacteria stuff as well. Plenty of plants takes up nitrogen Too. Thinking of koi sleeper pond for next build;) Any advice? L-shaped/octagonal/rectangle with waterfall/steps/slope? Need steps for plants if koi eat them? Maybe baskets or floating pot plants. Are windows difficult?

I’m wondering about putting an inverted aquarium in my deep 1.5m pond-maybe using bricks/garage shelves without the shelves. How do you secure it so doesn’t fall over in windy weather Though. Don’t want bricks or aquarium to fall on fish!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621178513975.gif
@JJ123456
I don't have a bottom drain. Some here do so they can help you on that one.
The thing about the inverted aquariums in a pond is you have to clean the glass on the inside. I'm not into any extra cleaning.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just thought inverted aquarium looks really cool and keeps fish happy as something different. Doesn’t having a uv filter prevent algae build up on glass? Maybe some barley straw extract too.
How big a pond need for koi-heard it has to be 12ft wide and 3-5ft deep and 10000 litres? for 15 koi. Thinking of fountain but don’t know how would turn off separate from the waterfall-Without getting into pond Or having separate pump.
why do you have raised net instead of over the top Of pond? Suppose allows water lilies to grow-j.w. Pond sounds really nice;) Thinking of keeping old digged pond as just a wildlife pond-would like to see frogspawn/beetles/dragonflys but koi prevent that at mo and could use pump and filter from that pond in new only koi pond. Divided on putting real plants in new koi pond as heard koi eat them. Which is why probably have to keep replacing the underwater pond plants.

This prebuilt pond looks good apart from being expensive but could build my own similar I think-not sure how fit waterfall in though

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So many questions!

Just to be clear are you asking about a bottom drain?

Underground rain storage! That’s impressive! Is that from overflow or drain under pond? So does water run from waterfall through bog garden and into pond? At mo have separate bog garden but not connected to pond. Good for absorbing overflow though. My pond at mo is 3mx3m and half is graded to 1.5m at deepest (as heard need that for toads) and 1/4 taken up by plants And has waterfall and shaded half of day. Also connected up all in one pump uv filter for better filtration To original filter. But not enough open swimming space for koi when grow bigger. Thought an inverted aquarium would provide some extra swimming space too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@JJ123456 - don't take this wrong, but you are ALL OVER THE PLACE. Do you have a question or are you just chatting? Maybe start with one in a post and we'll go from there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of improving my old pond for the time being with an inverted aquarium and in the future(maybe next year) building a new pond for the koi-just want some advice-don’t know why that’s so hard to understand.

I was interested in how your bog filter worked that’s all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just thought inverted aquarium looks really cool and keeps fish happy as something different. Doesn’t having a uv filter prevent algae build up on glass? Maybe some barley straw extract too.
How big a pond need for koi-heard it has to be 12ft wide and 3-5ft deep and 10000 litres? for 15 koi. Thinking of fountain but don’t know how would turn off separate from the waterfall-Without getting into pond Or having separate pump.
why do you have raised net instead of over the top Of pond? Suppose allows water lilies to grow-j.w. Pond sounds really nice;) Thinking of keeping old digged pond as just a wildlife pond-would like to see frogspawn/beetles/dragonflys but koi prevent that at mo and could use pump and filter from that pond in new only koi pond. Divided on putting real plants in new koi pond as heard koi eat them. Which is why probably have to keep replacing the underwater pond plants.

This prebuilt pond looks good apart from being expensive but could build my own similar I think-not sure how fit waterfall in though
general rule of thumb; 1000 gallons for the first koi, 500 for each additional.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
United States
I use an old plastic aquarium inverted in my pond for a "fish tower". We put it on top of a milk crate with a hole cut in 1 side and in the top to allow the fish to come and go. It's very heavy when filled with water and has never been knocked over, even in wicked storms. I make sure it's clean when we put it in and almost never have to clean it before removing it for the fall. Gets a little crusty around the water line but I don't have too much trouble with particulate algae so it doesn't seem to affect the fish tower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Uv does not prevent algae from growing on pond surfaces. It can help with particulate algae in the water.

My pond has a bottom drain and I wouldn't have it any other way. Keeps the bottom of the pond clean.

You can have a single pump that will power multiple things in the pond. I don't think a submersible pump would work for that though.

My pump is outside the pond and it pulls water from both the skimmer and the bottom drain. There is a pipe running from each of those and each pipe has a value on it to adjust the water flow. Both pipes join up just before the pump.

And I agree that it would be easier to understand what you are asking if you ask one question at a time, or maybe put them in a list. Just trying to help.

Ask a Question