pond depth and shelfs or no shelfs....

Reaction score
in regaurds to pond depth would it be better to have the deeper end of pond on the waterfall side ,( about 4 ft. ). for circulatrion reasons. will have skimmer on other end.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NO SIR... the deep end of your pond should be opposite of the water fall so the current the falls makes and gravity can push the debris towards your pump, prefilter or drain whichever the water is drawn in from.
and shelves?...whereas they are nice for setting plants on , they provide preditors a place to wade into the pond slower and more stealthfully ..lessening your fishes chance of escape.

Reaction score
I have 2 small shelves with a few rocks and these 2 small shelves cause me quite a bit of trouble. It is just a trap for debris and poop. (Mainly poop because the fish are up there rooting around in the rocks)

Reaction score
Glad this was brought up because I was debating putting a few small shelves in my new pond in the shallow end. But now I think I will forgo that and keep it straight sides like my old pond.

Reaction score
Another idea I'm toying with for plants is a side mounted hanger. For example, take ABS PVC and build a frame to set to whatever depth you want and to hold whatever pot size you'll use. Attach to this two "arms" of whatever material you want, e.g. untreated 2"X2", or ABS PVC, or flat steel or aluminum pieces. You could hook these over the sides of your pond if possible, or if not then simply put a rock or something similar on them to hold up the hanger. with some imagination these could be made to look really nice and by putting quite a few of various sizes around your pond make it look more "natural" by having bog plants growing along the edges.

Reaction score
D&RW said:
Another idea I'm toying with for plants is a side mounted hanger.
I've been thinking along these lines too. My current pond has extensive shallows, but when I rebuild, I might try something like this. I'm thinking poured concrete ATM, and I like the idea of having attachment points for pot supports on the walls a couple feet down.

Have plant stands been mentioned in this thread yet?

Ask a Question